PDA

View Full Version : Confused about tapeworms

11-06-2003, 05:25 AM
Ok. After reading this thread about tapeworms, I have a question.

http://forum.simplydiscus.com//index.php?board=10;action=display;threadid=1024

Correct me if I'm wrong. But it seems to me that we should be treating for tapeworms, even though they are seemingly healthy, eating, growing and pooing the correct color and texture?

I don't really want to medicate for the heck of it.
Do I have to?
What other symptoms should I be looking out for other than white segmented poo?

thanks
Ed

Ardan
11-06-2003, 06:45 PM
Hi,
After a long time of having tapeworm, some discus may not grow as fast or will be skinny even if fed well. Some discus show no symptoms.

hth

11-06-2003, 08:10 PM
Dang it Ardan!
Sooo, that means I probably should medicate.
Is this a once-off treatment or do I need to medicate on a regular basis?

Ed

Ardan
11-08-2003, 09:37 AM
Hi,
I think you may have to treat until there are no more tapeworms coming out. This is done once a wk for as many as 3 times.

hth

Geodiscus
11-10-2003, 08:08 PM
I agree with ardan. The Discus without tapeworms have a more rapid growth rate. Medicate and you will notice a big differencs also.

11-12-2003, 10:33 PM
Thanks for all your replies.
I just completed a course of prazi on both tanks as per instructions on the bottle. I didn't see any worms come out.

I guess that means they have a clean bill of health?

Ed
:)

Carol_Roberts
11-12-2003, 10:47 PM
Lol, I don't know about a clean bill of health, but no tape worms at least. There are lots of other worms that prazi does not kill

RyanH
11-12-2003, 11:41 PM
An interesting topic...

I have a female that has always eaten quite well and spawns like a fiend but has always been skinny. She has never gotten very large either despite my best efforts. I had decided several months ago that it was due to the care she was given earlier in her life. Could she be a candidate for treatment? Are there any other symptoms or signs to diagnose tapeworms that I should be looking for?

thanks!

-Ryan

11-13-2003, 10:27 PM
Lol, I don't know about a clean bill of health, but no tape worms at least. There are lots of other worms that prazi does not kill

GEEEZ Carol,
You're making me paranoid. :-\
Wouldn't "other worms" show symptoms of some kind?

Ed