PDA

View Full Version : where to buy mixing valves?

limige
11-07-2003, 04:14 PM
i want to hard plumb my R/O filter and run 80-84 degree water through it so my heaters don't have to work too much. but where to get a mixing valve to do this???

FischAutoTechGarten
11-07-2003, 10:35 PM
I won one off of Ebay from the UK. I've paid for it completely. Haven't received it. Buyer tells me it's the postal worker strike in the UK making impossible to ship. Getting a little impatient! It's been two weeks. Pretty sure I've been stiffed.

daninthesand
11-07-2003, 11:24 PM
Watts carries a mixing valve called the MMV. Its quite common and I am told it works like a charm. I never used one so take it for what its worth. I know Jason uses this valve and swears by it. He sent me this pic..... btw. you set this thing to the temp you want and it will maintain a steady temp. It is self adjusting. ;)

http://www.wattsreg.com/default.htm?/es/mmv.htm

HTH

Daniel

limige
11-08-2003, 01:17 AM
sweet, thanks, now i just have to find the price on that thing!

daninthesand
11-08-2003, 01:35 AM
Price? Is up there.....around 75 canadian$....make sure it will work for your needs before you buy one..... ;) check the specs on it first. There is a limited range of input temps (hot and cold) that it works with.

Jason
11-08-2003, 09:57 AM
Taco makes one too,

just do a search for "thermostatic mixing valve"

and yes I swear by them, and they last forever!

limige
11-08-2003, 12:47 PM
jason that pump is still running hot, i shut it down, i may have not been bleeding enough air off, i'm gonna try again once my tanks are all setup and i'll let you know more then.

thanks for the info on the valves guys!!! i'm gonna track down someone close by to buy one from!

later,
mike

LobsterMobster
11-08-2003, 10:15 PM
jason that pump is still running hot, i shut it down, i may have not been bleeding enough air off, i'm gonna try again once my tanks are all setup and i'll let you know more then.

Not to hijack your thread too badly, but mine runs at about 98-102, as measured with a noncontact infrared thermometer (COOL toy, btw :)). I don't bleed any air and am currently running 15 valves. Just thought I'd give my $0.02.

limige
11-09-2003, 08:18 AM
no problem i think the main topic has been answered.

thanks for your input. mine got too hot to keep your hand on so i shut it down. i was only using about 6 valves with a totatl of 12 or so sponges or airstones on it. i don't think i was bleeding off enough air, i'm going to try again once the tanks are setup.

Lance_Krueger
11-14-2003, 01:47 PM
So correct me if I'm wrong. You want to use a mixing valve so the combined output water is warmer so your R/O unit is more efficient? It mixes water from your hot line with your cold line to give you warmer water than if you just ran off your cold line? If so, I hadn't thought of that. Good idea. Could you use this to fill up water storage barrels too, or use as a drip? Does it take away any water pressure?Thanks,
Lance Krueger

Lance_Krueger
04-01-2004, 08:12 PM
Anybody with answers to my last, dumb questions? ;)Lance Krueger

Denny
04-01-2004, 09:34 PM
So correct me if I'm wrong. You want to use a mixing valve so the combined output water is warmer so your R/O unit is more efficient? CORRECT. It mixes water from your hot line with your cold line to give you warmer water than if you just ran off your cold line? yES, THE MEMBRANE IS MORE EFFICIENT THAT WAY AND YOUR HEATERS DO NOT HAVE TO WORK AS HARD IF YOU AGE IT, AND IF YOU JUST RUN IT INTO THE TANKS, IT GOES IN AT THE RIGHT TEMPERATURE If so, I hadn't thought of that. Good idea. Could you use this to fill up water storage barrels too,YES or use as a drip? YES Does it take away any water pressure?I DON'T SEE ANY REASON WHY IT WOULD SO I WILL SAY NO.Thanks ;)

FischAutoTechGarten
04-02-2004, 12:57 PM
I was stiffed on my mixing valve. Never received it. Out $35. Left negative feedback on Ebay, which was met with negative feedback! Great...some recourse...complain about being taken for $35 and have your perfect Feedback rating tainted by a unscrupulous trader.

$75 Canadian isn't bad. Do you have a source? I've come up empty. Only finding prices in the $100+ USD range.

Lance_Krueger
04-02-2004, 01:20 PM
Thanks, Denny. Good info for dumb questions. ;)
Lance Krueger

ODwyerPW, Sorry to hear about that. :-[ Don't know how to not get screwed, other than E-escrow. How would you do things differently next time, other than not buying at all?
Lance Krueger

limige
04-05-2004, 07:50 PM
yeah, i still need to track one down. i looked up locally for the watt's valves and found a place but nobody answered when i called.

oh well. soon hopefully, i keep changing my mind about how to set things up.

slicksta
04-05-2004, 08:38 PM
you can try these guys...they have Watts....
http://www.grainger.com/Grainger/wwg/homepage.jsp
the valves I found in a search didn't adjust below 100 degrees

limige
04-08-2004, 07:52 PM
thanks, yup you found them!!!

grainger wants $88 for a 3/4" mixing valve.
product number 6LM10

slicksta it states max temp of 200 but if you check the link out provided by daninthesand you will see it is adjustable from 80-150 degrees output. i think the 200 is max heat for the unit itself before things start melting.

still alittle pricey, i was hoping around 50-60 but i guess..

lauris
04-13-2004, 12:37 PM
I have questions for those that use these mixing valves. What volume of water do you get at 86 degrees with a standard 40 gallon water heater? At what temp do you set the water heater? I am going to replace my water heater and am thinking about throwing in a mixing valve at the same time and am wondering how it would work as far as doing water changes directly into tanks. My water parameters are fine for this (with the addition of Prime or something liket that), but I am unsure if it will be enough volume for me to change 2-300 gallons of water in one sessioni. Anyone have any practical info?

Denny
04-13-2004, 07:23 PM
Lauris

If you are changing that much water and are replacing your water heater, you should really look at a tankless water heater like the ones from Tagaki or similar ones. They will allow you to constantly run water at the temp you want and also give the added benefit of not having to pay for keeping the water hot when you don't need it.

I am talking with Willie about doing this at his place too. If you want to talk about it, send me an email or we can talk about it at the midwest meeting at Al's when I talk to Willie

Denny Jahnz

limige
04-15-2004, 01:36 AM
yeah, it's something i'm even considering, i'm changing 200 gallon/day and i don't even have growout tanks yet! lol

fshngal
04-15-2004, 02:05 PM
Here is the commercial one I am using. Cost $560 has a 2 degree water temperature differential. The less expensive ones have a much wider water temperature degree variation.

We run at 82-84 degrees.

It was installed by US Filter but I have the paperwork at home and will locate it to let you know whom the manufacturer is.

Mary

fshngal
04-15-2004, 03:27 PM
Mike,

Symmons is the manufacturer of the mixing valve unit. www.symmons.com

Mary