PDA

View Full Version : discus

jdruff8
11-07-2003, 07:53 PM
hey, i want to start a discus tank. how often will i need to do water changes? and will they b able 2 live wit thingsd like rainbow sharks, gouramis, tetras, laoches, silver dollars, and a bala shark?

Ryan
11-07-2003, 08:06 PM
Well, that question is loaded with possible answers.

First, let's start with tankmates. Discus are not a hard fish to raise, they just require something a little different than most other fish. They like their water a little bit warmer, they like their water a little cleaner. It does wonders for their growth and development. Tankmates are entirely possible, but I would suggest keeping your discus alone until you get the hang of your routines and you are a little more familiar with discus and their behavior.

Suitable tankmates, in my opinion, include small, peaceful schooling tetras (I love cardinals, lemon tetras, black neons, and rummynose), cory catfish, peaceful cichlids such as rams, and then things like Otocinclus, dwarf plecos, and so on.

I would strongly advise against silver dollars as they grow pretty large and are quite active, and they may frighten or disturb your discus, causing them to be stressed. Some gouramis may be suitable, including dwarfs, but you need to make sure that the tankmates you choose can live in the temperature you keep your discus at. I used to keep gouramis with angelfish, and the gouramis could be fin-nippers, so if this was the case with discus, your discus may get agitated.

Now, on to water changes. I personally think that water changes are one of the keys to growing out big healthy discus, versus small stunted ones. I have tried slacking on water changes in the past because it seemed to work for my angelfish, but I always ended up with tiny discus. Depending on tank size and number of fish, I would think that every day or every other day would be good for water changes. Also, stocking density would determine whether you needed 25% of the water changed daily, or 75%. It all depends on how many fish, how much you feed, etc.

I'd recommend bare bottom until you get the hang of the discus keeping thing. I have tried them in tanks with gravel and decorations, and it ended up being a major headache for me. If I were to ever put anything back in my tank, it'd be something like sand and I'd have it decorated pretty lightly. Otherwise it makes it hard to clean under objects and such.

Ryan

Ardan
11-08-2003, 09:16 AM
Hi and Welcome!

Ryan gave you some great thoughts that I agree with 8)

Here is also a great thread by Carol that may help. :)
http://forum.simplydiscus.com//index.php?board=21;action=display;threadid=9911;st art=0#lastPost

hth