PDA

View Full Version : Buy small or big?

DavidH
11-08-2003, 03:52 PM
How do people feel about the pros and cons of buying smaller discus over larger ones. Getting ready for new purchase. Any thoughts?

Thx Dave

heavyp83
11-08-2003, 04:07 PM
There are many pros and cons to this issue.

Many people start with larger fish for many reasons, the fish already show much of their final shape/color, they are closer to breeding age, but at the same time larger fish are more expensive and harder to find for sale as breeders like to sell fish when they are smaller as not to waste any tank space on growing out fish.

Smaller fish are cheaper, but you can not tell as much about what kind of adults they will turn out to be, depending on how small they are, they will not be very colored up and their shape can not be determinned.

If you choose to buy smaller fish, buy a lot! I'd suggest to go with at least 10 small fish of the same size if you plan to end up with good breeding stock. I also feel that starting with less fish than this can lead to aggression problems down the road, especially when they start to sexually mature.

In the end, it is ok to buy big or small fish, just know what you are buying and who you are buying from, take your time and make a smart purchase!

;D

Fish_Fin-atic
11-08-2003, 04:14 PM
Personaly, I prefer to buy mine small at about 2" give or take a bit. This way, I can get them to eat the kinds of food that I want them to eat, and I can get them off to a good start both growth and healthwize. Smaller fish also become used to my schedule, and habits, and should be more at ease around me later on in life as adults.

Besides, you can buy 5 or 6 younger fish for the price of one adult (in most cases) which you can grow to adult size in about a year or so. At that time, you can pick a couple of the best ones, and sell off the ones you don't care for (don't be fooled, that's harder to do than you might think ;)).

Jeff
11-08-2003, 04:28 PM
If I'm buying stock for people to look at in my tanks I prefer 3". Most all breeders have culled again by 3" and this is the smallest of the best of the best you can buy. If you are buying spotted fish you can also see a majority of the spots on the fish as well. JMO.

Jeff

Willie
11-08-2003, 08:43 PM
Price is generally the reason people buy small. I try to buy at least 10 pieces if I'm buying small fish so there's a reasonable chance of getting two good pairs out of it. But if I can get 5 adults at 4" for the same price, I definitely go with the adults. Its a numbers game, no right or wrong.

Willie