PDA

View Full Version : sponge filter

boydiscus
11-09-2003, 07:02 AM
will 2 sponge filter do for a 3ft tank, do I need anything else for filteration?

Ardan
11-09-2003, 07:04 AM
Hi,
If they are the big sponge filters with plenty of aeration and plenty of wc's , they should be fine.
I like to use hang on the back aquaclears also.
You must have a 30 to 50 gallon tank?

hth

Kap
11-10-2003, 02:23 PM
Probably ok; more technically, it depends on the size of the sponge filters (larger filters can hold more good bacteria to reduce ammonia?), the amount of air pulling water through them, and the size of your tank. And how many fish you have in the tank. How old/big are they? A general rule is to follow the manufacturer's recommendations for filters and pump capabilities.

Sorry this sounds so complicated -- it really isn't. Err on the conservative side -- do frequent water changes and have more filtration capability than you anticipate needing. A side benefit is more water flow allows the temperature to better equalize throughout the tank, too.

Best wishes for your setup.

--kap

11-10-2003, 04:52 PM
"I like to use hang on the back aquaclears also"

Also has the benefit that you have something where you can add (crushed coral or something else) to the tank without big hassel.

Ronald

Nightowl
11-11-2003, 01:52 AM
Two sponge filters are generally sufficient for a 36" tank. What type are you using? Two Hydro sponge #3 will work on a 30 gal. tank. If its a 40- 50 gal( 18" front to back) then 2 #4 hydros would be better. But every situation is a little different. You can keep a pair of fish in a 40 breeder w/ one #3 hydrosponge. When that pair has 75 growing fry w/ them you need more filtration like another sponge and a hang on w/ a prefilter.
Good luck! J.T.

Haywire
11-14-2003, 12:52 AM
Definatly add more than one filter. I run a central system, but each tank has sponge filter in it. I also keep a spare in one of my tanks when I need to set up a quarantine tank, I've got an instant cultured filter on hand.

Mykiss
11-22-2003, 01:01 AM
For my 3ft tank I use one sponge and one aqua clear. I think the 2 sponges will work if they are the large sized ones and as long as you do constant water changes. A new filter only costs about 25 bucks. You can just buy it just in case? good luck
pt

01-06-2004, 01:53 AM
I just bought a Hydro-sponge V . It is used for aquarium up to 125 G...but i use it for my 55 g-tank.

How often do you change the sponge?

Carol_Roberts
01-06-2004, 11:36 AM
You don't change the sponge for years. You do rinse/squeeze it out in a bucket of used aquarium water every couple of weeks to remove debris.

I like a hang on the back filter too for growing out juveniles