PDA

View Full Version : The new do...

ChloroPhil
11-10-2003, 09:22 AM
Here's my tank after an overhaul and a few weeks of growth. I was tired of the previous aquascape and wanted some plants that would grow faster and keep my water cleaner.

It's a quick and dirty shot, my apologies.

jeff cannons
11-10-2003, 10:51 AM
:P :thumbsup:Looking good Phil ........... Keep us posted .............. :o

jim_shedden
11-10-2003, 12:23 PM
Outstanding Phil

jim

henryD
11-10-2003, 03:19 PM
WOW!!! :o :o

How about a couple of close up pics. Nice discus....

luke_potts
11-10-2003, 09:06 PM
Hi phil,

i just cannot believe how "DIRTY" that tank is...................man you should do something about it...... ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D
Very nice phil, it will look good in a couple of months. can u keep us updated on the progress with pics

Just one question i do have...... how do you clean the waste from around the base of plants that are really thick and bushy????? every time i try to do it i always manage to break or damage in some way the leaves around the edge of the plant.

Cheers
luke

Debbie
11-11-2003, 01:20 AM
Looks great!
Luke when I clean around the plants I use my hand and agitate the water while siphoning the detritus.

RAWesolowski
11-11-2003, 01:57 AM
Phil,

Great look to the tank. What plants did you use?

Crypts are eating my tank and I need to thin them. Would like some ideas for a 30 and a 36 bow.

ChloroPhil
11-11-2003, 08:55 AM
Thanks guys! I haven't been 100% sure about the redo. The first setup was a better design and was more critically acclaimed. This one is kind of a step backward for me, but hey, it's much better for the fish and at this point that's what counts.

Luke,

Believe it or not this tank is REALLY dirty. The food I use tends to make a bunch of little floaties that don't get sucked up into the filter. I had just done some major maintenance on the system and used a diatom filter to get up as much sediment as possible, which is why it looks so clean. [sshhhh, don't tell anyone my secret ;)]

I'm not able to get into the plants very much with my syphon, and that's fine with me. All the little bits of stuff that work their way down into the substrate in the planted zone is just free food for the plants. I've also got a troupe of cories that swim around in there eating the larger pieces.

As far as major gravel cleaning, you can see the empty strip in front. That's where the fish eat and where most of the detritus goes. All I have to do is vaccuum that well rather than work around a bunch of plants. It works out well for both me and the fish.

Bob,

I'll get back to you on ideas and a plant listing.

crazy4discus
11-12-2003, 02:33 PM
looking very good

chinoz
11-12-2003, 03:45 PM
very nice tank you got there bud. ;D

lesley
11-12-2003, 04:17 PM
Hi Biotypical,

your tank looks beautiful.

have you found in the past that if you can keep the main area where you feed clean, then long term you won't have probs if the plants are not vacuumed thoroughly? And do you mean that you never vacuum them, or only occasionally?

I think that my plants would do better if I didn't vacuum them to within an inch of their lives, but haven't been game not to.

Thanks, Lesley

Paulio
11-12-2003, 04:53 PM
Standing O Phil!

ChloroPhil
11-12-2003, 11:03 PM
Lesley,

I don't vaccuum around the plants at all unless I do an uproot and pruning. I'd say any given patch inside the plant zone gets a vaccuum once every month to or two.

What I will do is take the siphon over the tops of them to get any bits of stuff resting on the plants. I'll also "fluff" the plants up and brush any detritus off the foliage when doing a WC. Plants don't appreciate having stuff on their leaves.

You really shouldn't vaccuum around your plants too much. If you can make yourself leave a two inch perimeter around all your plants or bunches of plants they'll be much healthier and will do more to keep your water clean than you can imagine. :)

Pete,
That's a great idea, I'll have to see how I can rig something like that up in my tank.

lesley
11-13-2003, 04:30 PM
Thanks Phil, will promise to give the plants a chance!!

Pete, what are you going to use to drive your spray bar?

Thanks, Lesley

chirohorn
11-14-2003, 01:07 AM
Nice setup...I like the wilds as well. What species is the red, leafy plant in the left 1/3? Does it require intense light to achieve that color?

ChloroPhil
11-16-2003, 09:36 PM
That's Alternanthera reineckii and no, it doesn't require an insane amount of light. It's doing quite well under 2.0w/g in this tank.