PDA

View Full Version : PH bounce :Planted,Discus/comu. tank

jc63
11-12-2003, 01:59 PM
Thanks for the info on KH.I am not so concernd about raising the KH,but more so about the PH bounce.I thought that by raising my KH to 3 or 4 dKH this would stablize my PH and it would.So by raising KH this in turn raises PH.
With my PH from tap being at 9+ to 10 seems to high for the fish and plants in my tank.With 2 to 3 water changes a wk of 20/30 gal. in my 65gal.(55gal. vol.) in which I allready add water conditioner for chlorine and chlorimines, should I also add an Acid buffer to lower the PH?
Tank water:Amonia-0
Nitrite-0
GH-8
KH-1
PH-6.3 to 7.5
Weekly plant nutrients: 5 tsp Botanica Grow,1 tsp botanica K,1 tbs Flourish Trace,6 mls Flourish Iron and 2 Tbs Instant Ammazon by Marc Weiss.
Bucket Brigade water:(add Nov-Aqua;Amonia-0,Nitrite-0,GH-7,KH-2,PH-8+)

I'm trying to reach a more stable PH between my tank water and my water changes.I want to provide the best conditions for my fish and plants the best way that I can. Am I going at this all the wrong way? Maybe there is a better way given my water parameters? Note I am not interested in breading Discus but I want to give them the best conditions possiable,along with the other fish inhabitants.The health and vibrance of the plants are very rewarding to me and people who look at my tanks.I think the fish appreciate it also. Thanks Shawn B.

Debbie
11-13-2003, 12:58 AM
Are you aging your water? Depending on the chemistry of your water the pH will change after sitting for 24 hours or so. This may be part of your pH fluctuation. Discus like stability more than low pH and since you are not interested in breeding I would still recommend crushed coral. I find it to be a more stable way to prevent fluctuations.

ChloroPhil
11-13-2003, 09:10 AM
Took the words right out of my fingertips Debbie. :)