PDA

View Full Version : Hair Algae

Luca
11-13-2003, 11:46 PM
Hi people,

i have some really nasty thready long strandy hair algae! It recently exploded mostly near the surface of my 75gal planted tank becoming very thick. I have cut most of it away but does anyone know of a chemical cure or better still a fish that will eat it?

Thanks heaps

Carol_Roberts
11-14-2003, 12:05 AM
Salt ;D

Kap
11-14-2003, 12:26 AM
Luca,

I had the same problem in my pond this Summer. I wish I could tell you about a fish that would take care of this but I don't know of one.

I used "Pond Care Algae Destroyer." It is a liquid that is also safe for freshwater aquariums when used as directed -- 5 tsp/50 gallons. At temperatures above 75 degrees F, extra aeration is required to reduce fish stress.

Some of your plants may be affected by it, too. It took care of my hair algae but my water lilies did not grow nor bloom as much as usual. It is not recommended for use in water gardens. I did not follow up with later treatments as I wanted the lilies to bloom and did not want to stress the fish any more (I noticed no signs of stress in the goldfishfish, by the way).

It is produced by Aquarium Pharmaceuticals, but I do not remember how much it cost. Their Web site is awww.quariumpharm.com, and the technical service phone number 800-847-0659.

Best wishes in your efforts to get rid of the stuff!

--kap

Kap
11-14-2003, 12:29 AM
Carol-- About 1 tablespoon/gallon? What strength do you recommend?

Carol_Roberts
11-14-2003, 12:34 AM
Start with 2 tablespoons per 10 gallons. Maintain concentration for couple of days. Go to 3 tbsp per 10 gallons if needed.

Luca
11-16-2003, 03:07 AM
Thanks a lot Kap and Carol, i will start out with the salt and see what happens. i also just added some guppies and they seem to eat it, i think most live-bearers eat algae to some extent.