PDA

View Full Version : Red Discus

Discusrite
11-14-2003, 03:59 PM
I was told by a breeder that red discus will not be really red unless they are fed colour enhancing food. Is that true?

roger
11-14-2003, 04:19 PM
From what I have seen thats paritially true.

I have wild discus that where red without color enhancers, they arent brilliant red. After feeding them color enhancing foods they are a brighter red over more of the body.

I would imagine that its different between pigeon blood based fish and non-pb based fish.

So I guess what Im really saying is that depending on the fish some will be naturally red and some wont. Feeding them a color enhancing food will make a difference in coloring. Certian strains see a greater change in colors than others.

Peace,
Roger

Rod
11-14-2003, 05:40 PM
Partially true, it is possible to breed a very red discus without color enhanced food through selective line breeding but it seems most red strains do rely on colorants. The curipera type of alenquer discus is one natural strain that does show intence red without colorants.

Rod

Jeff
11-14-2003, 06:01 PM
From all the domestic discus I have had you do not get red without enhancers. Just as people need the sun for sun tans. That just is not a natural color for them to show.

Murphy
11-14-2003, 08:25 PM
From all the domestic discus I have had you do not get red without enhancers. Just as people need the sun for sun tans. That just is not a natural color for them to show.

Does this also apply to Red Melons?.

Jeff
11-14-2003, 08:36 PM
Red melons as well. They need a little enhancer. I have seen some that are redder than others without enhancers, but none completly red without enhancers.

CARY_GLdiscus
11-15-2003, 01:38 PM
Again I agree with Rod,

IME not word of mouth! There are many true red discus lines out there that will turn red when adults without color enhancers. I have a few Myself ;D

The problem is red discus are a big seller at the time so most are jumping ship and useing color enhancers on golds and burnt orange discus to make a red sale :-* So IMO this is why so many think color enhancers are needed or used to make a red discus

hth
Cary Gld!

11-15-2003, 05:32 PM
The problem is red discus are a big seller at the time so most are jumping ship and useing color enhancers on golds and burnt orange discus to make a red sale :-*

Cary Strong, once again exposing the dark secrets from the 'discus underbelly' ;)
david

April
11-15-2003, 08:43 PM
well heres my alencer type discus with hardly any colour enhancers. and she is rather red. shes an alencer x manacapura. actually which came from Rod.and he has worked over the years in breeding for the red. i do use a bit of onf1. thats all. no naturose etc.
the dark red is a bit brighter from the camera but the miiddle part is about how red she is naturally.

Murphy
11-15-2003, 10:35 PM
Wow! nice looking Discus April!

Discusrite
11-16-2003, 02:43 AM
Hmm... so are colour enhancers bad for the fish?

April
11-16-2003, 02:53 AM
well the main thing is......its good if you know before hand if they were used or not. if buying the fish. as if they did and you dont your fish will lose the colour. so if they say these fish were fed this....you can carry on.
or. not . your choice. if not they may have less colour later
most foods have some colour enhancers in them.
or some use naturose which is asaxathin. which is natural from the sea. also used for salmon farms to make the salmon meat more red i believe.
then..theres hormones which are a different story.
perhaps someone else can elaborate on this.

nicholas76
11-16-2003, 02:57 AM
Hi all

I feed live worm and brime frozen brime shrimp only.
I have had my red melons for several months and have experienced no colour loss.

yes colouring does change but that generally reflects tempermant , mood swings and so on.

I simply put it down to superiour selective breeding.

Yes you can have red fish without juicing it up.
At the moment my melons are in a breeding cycle and there colours are superb

Just my opinion.

Nick

nicholas76
11-16-2003, 03:01 AM
This picture was taken just using the flash light at night.

I just wanted to show you the redness of the female. Solid red and no enhancing

Regards

NIck

Discusrite
11-16-2003, 11:27 AM
Alright then, red for me. :)

CARY_GLdiscus
11-16-2003, 03:29 PM
Thanks Nick,
For shareing I have the same problem ;D

alex_m
11-16-2003, 03:39 PM
Hi,

here are the melons that i had
No enhancers.

alex_m
11-16-2003, 03:40 PM
last one

alex

CARY_GLdiscus
11-16-2003, 06:52 PM
Nice Brother Alex ;)

Jason
11-17-2003, 11:18 AM
IME

females of most red strains will be redder of the two sexes.