PDA

View Full Version : IMPORTING

DREW
11-17-2003, 03:05 PM
I find the subject of importing interesting and I haven't seen too many posts on the subject. I've seen the mods try to start a post about the subject in the past but not too many people responded to it. I'm not ready myself to import discus from Asia but I'm curious what it takes to do so and what kind of experiences people have had doing it. I've noticed a few posts that people with small fishrooms importing fish but not much in detail. I'm curious about what lab testing costs? What are the final costs after you pay for the permits per fish on the average? We could use blue diamonds for example as for as what the breeders charge per average. How people in Asia treat you after something happens to the shipment. Is it hard to do business with the more reputable breeders. Just want a little insight on what goes on. It can't be negative because people do import and continue to import. I'm not talking about making money I'm more thinking about the technical aspects of importing but money does play a role.

I appreciate any Info, thanks Drew

Drew

April
11-17-2003, 09:07 PM
ok well heres my opinion..... I would not import on my own. although.i know a few great guys in asia who have absolutely top fish. and i do get their fish !!! But...i get them through people on this forum who import them. they do all the fees etc etc. and if something goes wrong..them or the breeder /exporter work it out. i just pay for the fish. and their all people who are friends and i trust completely to send me good fish. and they in turn get sent nice fish as they have a business/friend relationship going on. I just got some fish from Jeff at discusfarm.us and i will get more from jason later. they treat me well.......and no risk on my part.
and their prices are very fair after all their expenses. shipping from asia is costly to begin with. you also need an import permit etc.
ive also imported from australia but also because the breeder was a good friend of mine. so i was sent fish hed be proud to own in his own tanks. Also...these guys do the testing and make sure their fine before they send to me.
remember.....just my idea on how id do it.
ive heard good and bad stories.
good post...lets see what others feel or lets hear others experiences.

wildthing
11-17-2003, 09:13 PM
" never gamble with more than you can afford to lose"......

jmho

David

DREW
11-17-2003, 10:22 PM
Thanks for the replies. I guess most people think about importing some discus at some time. Most don't do it but there has to be a group of people that have tried it and enjoyed it and some who thought it was to big of a pain in the a**. Could someone spend two thousand and receive enough quality fish to make it worth it or would that just get you past the import fees, meds and losses. I just want to get a shipment cherry pick the top fish.. Some of the varieties coming out of asia are really colorful.

Thanks for input

Drew

11-17-2003, 10:41 PM
Drew

This isnt what you want to hear...but I agree with Pril and David...Its not worth the gamble...plain and simple. Some of us have been on these forums for years, and we've all heard more horror stories than success stories (way more)
Spend your money with someone like Cary or Jeff. Guaranteed quality.....

Tony

SLY
11-17-2003, 10:55 PM
Let the experts handle it for you. ;D ;)

April
11-17-2003, 10:57 PM
Listen to Uncle Sly!! he knows of what he speaks!!

trucdan
11-18-2003, 11:23 PM
I am not trying to debate on the topic of Should or Should Not import. Any one can decide for himself/herself. There is always a risk buying discus anyway and it's hard to tell if the problem is from seller or yourself.

But talking about the process of import, it's not that complicated.

First of all, you need to find the seller and if the seller can communicate well in English, things will be much more easier unless you know how to communicate in their native languages. You will communicate with the sellers about the strain, size, price, the shipping cost and the shipping date.

Then you will need to pay the seller. Either by Teletransfer (money wired from your bank to the seller's bank) or by using Western Union. There will be a fee for that.

The seller then Fax you all the document needed for you to pick up the fish. They will include the Invoice, Air booking, Air bill, etc. Usually you will have all the documents about 24 hours before the shippment arrives because SouthEast Asia is about one day ahead of North America.

On the day the shippment arrives, you will need to call the airline to make sure that your fish will be arrived on schedule. After confirming the time with the Airline, you will need to call Fish and Wild life control to make an appointment with them to inspect your shippment. They will ask if you have an import license and if you buy the fish to resale or for your own use. If you bring the fish in the first time and you don't buy a lot (more than 2 boxes or so), there will be no problem if you don't have the import license.

You then show up at the air cargo and meet with the Fish and Wild life Inspector. You should be there before the appointment because there is some document you need to fill out with the air cargo. They will give you all the original
documents such as Air bill, etc.

When the FIsh and WIldlife inspector comes, he/she will have some documents for you to sign. You will need to remember the price of the fish you bring in. Then the Inspector will walk with you to the air cargo warehouse, find
your shippment, and open it. If every thing is OK then the
inspector will put a label "inspected by FIsh and WIldlife" on
your box.

After inspection, the inspector will give you all the documents and you need to go to the Custom to have
the stamp on its. Then you go back to the air cargo and pick the fish.

All the above process will take about 30'-60' or so and
you will not pay anything other that $20.00 for the air cargo.
Custom will not tax or charge you if you bring in a small quantity and if it's your first time.

For the shipping cost, it's varied depends on the seller, but
generally speaking, it will cost you about $110.0 to $160 per
shippment if you import One Box. If you import more, the
Freight charge will be more but you will save the money for
all other charges.

And if you want to do it again, better apply for the import license because the second time import without a license will cause you a lot of trouble. The fee for an import license is about $50.00 or so. Every time you have shippment, you
will pay $55.00 fee.

It's up to you to import or not to import. It's your time and
money any way ;D ;D ;D. I m not trying to push any one
to import and vice versa so Peace Please.

TD

DREW
11-19-2003, 10:39 AM
Thanks for the info. Not sure if I ever will but its definitely something I've been thinking about trying. Regardless it would be a learning lesson.

Drew

CARY_GLdiscus
11-24-2003, 11:22 AM
Td,
Nice write up! IME anyone with a brain,Money +salt LOL can do it!

The big problem is Quality And Health!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!! :-*

trucdan
11-24-2003, 03:56 PM
Ha ha ha Cary, is it true that Salt is the cheapest item for discus
keeper?
If you're living in Asia, I will not have any problem importing fish
from you Cary ;D ;D ;D.

TD

Jeff
11-24-2003, 04:04 PM
Trucdan,

I agree with you 100%. I would encourage any one to try importing if they feel confident. Just watch your suppliers. If any has any questions please feel free to call me anytime for assistance.

mtwinn
11-30-2003, 08:33 PM
What if I visit a country and decides to bring some Discus back with me...say as carry-on? Assuming the packaging is done the same way as if it was being shipped, it should last the trip. Would Immigration/ Customs be required or can I just declare it and go? Thanks!

Mike

April
11-30-2003, 08:38 PM
well i do know some countries you cant take them out of the country. like Thailand. so.....check before you try it.

trucdan
11-30-2003, 09:30 PM
Mike,
I don't know about other country but if you come back
from VN, it's easy. Just give the VN custom a few bucks
and they will happy to let you go. For US custom, prepare
an invoice and show it to them and you will not have any
problem. For carry on, don't bring a lot. A few small discus
or a breeding pairs will be OK.
Trucdan