PDA

View Full Version : Aquarium pest help

Hulkster
11-17-2003, 10:28 PM
Hello everyone! I have a pest problem in my 30 gallon discus tank and I was hoping some of you might be able to help me. First, here is the tank info:

30 gallons, houses 2 turquoise discus and 4 cory cats that have been living together (after quarantine) for 2 months. The temp. is 84 degrees, ammonia 0 mg/l, nitrite 0, nitrates 10mg/l. The fish are doing very well, they have grown noticeably since I purchased them. They are feed at least 3 times per day (hakari bw, colour bits, flake, Sera discus granules) and 30% of the water is changed 4 times per week. There is a thin layer (1") of fine gravel on the bottom (I removed most of the gravel after reading posts on this board 8)) The tank has a few plastic plants, live ones will be added when they are adults. I gravel siphon the substrate when I change water and the tank appears spotless. However, I have an infestation of creatures on the glass that look like tiny white copepods of some kind. They are not the normal planaria worms, but look like a tiny white mite of some kind. They dart off of the glass and in the water and are visibly irritating the fish. There are hundreds of them on the glass if you look closely. I keep cleaning the inside glass but they return quickly. Lately the fish are "fluttering" thier fins and are a little darker in colour. I do not believe that they are parastic in any way since the fish are still eating vigorously and do not have clamped fins/gills etc. I have tried treating with formalite 2 (contains formaldehyde) and it did nothing. Now, i have tried disco-worm (says that it controls copepods) and it does not seem to be having an effect. One thing that I cannot understand is why I have an infestion when the tank is clean/not being overfed. The water is always sparkling. I should be able to keep the numbers of these pests way down just by proper tank management but it doesn't seem to be working. I have also tried adding aquarium salt but to no effect. I was thinking of trying Lifebearer by Aquarium Products. Has anyone tried this product with Discus? One other possible remedy I was thinking of doing was adding a clown pleco. I currently do not have any algea eaters in the tank and was thinking that they may eat some of these creatures. Any help suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Ron

Carol_Roberts
11-17-2003, 10:48 PM
You do not have an explosion of copepods without a food source. Copepods eat the teensiest bits of flakes and leftovers. Feed a diet of 100% live blackworms in a bare tank and you will not see copepods. My guess is your gravel is not as clean as you think.

GulfCoastDiscus
11-18-2003, 08:57 AM
I would put all the fish in a 5gal bucket with a heater and airstone. Clean out the tank, filter and remove the gravel. I would sanitize the tank with PP.

Dan

Carol_Roberts
11-18-2003, 03:18 PM
Hi Dan and Ron:
PP may kill the copepods in the tank, but copepods live in the filter too and you don't want to kill the filter. Small numbers won't hurt the discus. When bioload is low, in other words hardly any disolved food and waste in water, you will think the copepods are gone. Wrong - just overfeed a little and you'll see them skittering across the bottom glass cleaning up the bits of debris.

GulfCoastDiscus
11-18-2003, 04:11 PM
I meant to just clean the filter really well but sanitize the tank with PP and put new clean water into the tank. You're right Carol. The PP will kill everything. If you have other filter from another tank you can sanitized the filter otherwise just clean the filter really well. I throw mine against the cement wall outside then rinse it in tank water.lol

Dan

EthanCote.com
11-18-2003, 04:57 PM
Why not just try to cut back on the amount of feeding and uping the WC? Wouldn't that solve his problem.

From my understanding, these copepods always exist in your tank and they will "bloom" if conditions are rite such as too much food and dirt. So do more WC like daily and see if your problem still exist or not.

I'm curious though, are these copepods good as a food source for baby discus?

As an aside, I see these copepods occassionally in my tank but their numbers are very low. So I just up the WC and they go away.

HTH.

Cheerio,

Chi.

Larry Grenier
11-20-2003, 01:23 PM
I don't have much to add except:

1) In reef tanks, the little pods are considered goo to have because their baby(nymph?) stage is food for corals and the adult is great food for fish, especially those that don't take to propared foods like mandrins.

2) danDman, if I'm ever at your place and relaxing outside, remind me which wall to stay away from (the stinky one) ;D

Hulkster
11-20-2003, 02:02 PM
Hi everyone, thanks for the replies. I have one question though, what is PP? It's not urine, I know! LOL! I am assuming it is a medince of some kind. I am going to up the water change schedule to a daily 30% for the next little while and cut back on the feeding to 1 or 2 times per day for a bit. This should reduce the numbers to insignificant levels. I have added some algae eaters (ottocinclus and a clown pleco) to try to perhaps eat some of these creatures off of the glass. I am concerned that in my efforts to get rid of these (relatively harmless) creatures I am going to harm my discus that are doing very well. That would be a major mistake.

Ron
Ron

EthanCote.com
11-21-2003, 10:38 AM
PP = potassium permagnate

As an aside: In term of algae eater, the best kind to have are bushy nose plecos. U can get the dwarf varieties that do not grow very big. I know they aren't the nicest fish around but they do a great job.

Cheerio,

Chi.

Jason
11-21-2003, 10:55 AM
PP = potassium permagnate

As an aside: In term of algae eater, the best kind to have are bushy nose plecos. U can get the dwarf varieties that do not grow very big. I know they aren't the nicest fish around but they do a great job.

Cheerio,

Chi.

:) I think there so ugly there cute!...oh wait maybe that was me :P

April
11-21-2003, 12:00 PM
my little discus fry were dining on copepods in my hydro sponges. thought they were picking at bbs that got in there..but then saw them go after one on the wall. so yes the fry can eat them. but.....as said maybe time to squeeze the sponges and cut back on food a bit.
I was feeding the frozen onf1 alot and im sure alot of that gets in the sponges etc and gives them a huge buffet to dine on.

Mykiss
11-22-2003, 01:20 AM
Hi Hulkster, welcome to simply. AS for your copepod situation, and if you only have one tank, what I have done is more water changes. In fact, I have done a 80% water change and clean all your filters and decore if you have any. Lower the amount of food and live black worms as what Carol said will do. She is right about the tid bits of food and over feeding. After the big 80% water change, do 25% water changes every day or 50% every other day but scrub everything before you cange the water. After a week or so, there should be a reduction in copepods. This is what I have done in the past. If you have no other ideas, you can try it. good luck.
pt

Haywire
11-22-2003, 10:37 AM
I'd combat the copepods with either rummy nose tetrs's, they are cheap, compatible, and don't bother my discus.

But that depends on your goals are for the tank.

daninthesand
11-24-2003, 01:49 PM
I have copepods in many of my tanks. After a lot of wasted time in trying to eradicte them I decided that it was not worth trying to ge rid of them. They always come back. I have a feeling they can be introduced with the red wiggler worms I use from time to time. (just a guess).

I have noticed the copepods like to graze the sides of the discus, seemingly eating the slime. (no problems with attachment here! ;D) My discus otherwise seem healthy.

I have serpae tetras in one of the tanks and the copepod population seems non existent. I also have bushynose plecos in other tanks and although the population of copepods on the glass seems lower, they are clearly still present, swimming around in the water. I don't know if the glass has less copepods on it because the plecos eat the copepods or if its simply the fact that the plecos clean the glass for me, hence less food to attract the copepods. (probably the latter).

I also noticed my angle fry tanks appear to have no copepods at all. I think the fry out number the copepods!

Daniel

And I think my dwarf albino plecos are adorable! :D