PDA

View Full Version : Discus & Angelfish.

crashFragment
11-21-2003, 05:11 PM
Just out of interest...are Discus and Angelfish ever found in the same habitat? If not, what sort of enviroment/habitat/area do they each prefer?
Thanks ;)

RyanH
11-21-2003, 09:02 PM
In the wild they are found in the same habitat.

skylsdale
12-18-2003, 02:30 PM
I'd like to bring this back up, because I've heard both.

ChloroPhil
12-20-2003, 07:54 PM
From everything I've read and seen pictures of they live in very similar habitats, but different areas.

Alberto would be a good person to ask as he's been there and done some good studies of the habitats.

Paulio
12-30-2003, 12:23 PM
Since I havent been there myself I can only relay what I have been told by folks I work with. Of course this is generalized as well. Angels come from clearer, faster moving areas of the river system where Discus seem to like the calmer flow and black water cover. Of course Discus and Angels are being found in more and more diverse areas lately so I couldnt say with 100% certainty that they do not share habitat or at least overlap in some areas. Alberto???? David????? Anything more to add here?

Paul

aquatechnics
12-31-2003, 11:02 PM
In my experience I can tell that discus and angels share the same habitat. In my last collection trip in the Peruvian Amazon, I found discus and angels in the same area. Now, this is the Peruvian case, since many studies show that angels are found in clear waters. In the Nanay River (Iquitos) the water is dark brown with very low visibility, 26° C, pH 5.5-6, 35 ms of conductivity; all these readings in the dry season.

We caught discus and angels at night by hand, one by one, among bushes and trees. There was a higher population of angels at some points but there is no clear borderline between the habitats of discus and angels. In fact, these fish share their habitat with piranhas, needlefish, tucunare, myleus, etc.

Here is a pic of the spotted angels we caught the same night along with discus......

aquatechnics
12-31-2003, 11:10 PM
Ooops, here it goes again.... ;D

aquatechnics
12-31-2003, 11:12 PM
Spotted angels....

aquatechnics
12-31-2003, 11:14 PM
Day view of their habitat....

aquatechnics
12-31-2003, 11:15 PM
Close up of an spotted angel... :)

aquatechnics
12-31-2003, 11:20 PM
And a RSG captured in the same area.... 8)

Alberto

JMIZ16
01-02-2004, 01:11 PM
Aquanetichs,
Have you ever cut open and analized the stomach contenet of a wild discus? If so what have you found, and was this analyzed in a lab?

M0oN
01-19-2004, 07:22 PM
According to one of my books the following are the larger fish found with discus:
Jatapu - Uaru, Crenicichla lenticulata, Heros, Leporinus
Putomayo - Geophagus, Heros, Pterophyllum scalare
Maderia - Geophagus
Coari - Metynnis, Astronotus
Negro - Heros, Leporinus
Curipera - stingrays, pirahna
Jaraki - Cichla, Acarichthys
Mata Limpa - Heros, Satanoperca
Arapiuns - Heros, Leporinus