PDA

View Full Version : Time line: cycled tank-no fish??

korbi_doc
11-22-2003, 01:45 PM
:bounce2: :bounce2: Ok, moved my 3 RTs to big community tank, & plan to put new fish in when they arrive. They came out on Mon the 17th, & new fish should be here in next 2 wks(?). What if anything needs to be done to keep the tank cycled for them? Have rams & cories, but can't catch'm, pretty fast, & I'm not quick enough these days, hahahaha, or should I just put the sponges in another tank 'til then? Will the AC be ok? Tia, Dottie ;D

Carol_Roberts
11-22-2003, 03:13 PM
I just put a half capful of pure ammonia in the tank every 2 or 3 days. No water changes - then do a big 90% water change the night before the discus arrive. Over a two week period some fish dependant parasites will die from lack of a host. It's the next best thing to a fishless cycle ;D

korbi_doc
11-22-2003, 07:00 PM
;D ;D Thanks Carol, will do, sounds like the best approach. Dottie, :) :)

MonkeeFish
11-22-2003, 08:39 PM
saying of pure ammonia. i juss got a brand new 60 gallon tank : ) excited like krazeee. Where can i get "PURE Ammonia" like do i juss go to the super market and ask them "Hi do you have any PURE ammonia?" or something.. is there a brand to this or something??

korbi_doc
11-22-2003, 09:55 PM
Yes, Johnny, that is exciting, new tank, fun! fun! fun! Just remember to be patient setting it up & be sure it's ready before you add the fish!!

The ammonia: got mine in Starns Shoprite, supermarket. States: clear ammonia, contains no phospates, ingredients: deionized water & ammonia.
Good luck & have fun, Dottie ;D ;D

mattrox
11-22-2003, 11:21 PM
I think that "pure ammonia" means an ammonia solution with only water and ammonia in it. ie No other additives like detergents, perfumes or colours.

100% ammonia (NH3) is a gas which is water soluable and is toxic. As a fairly dilute solution it makes an excellent cleaner. ....and tank cycler by the sounds ;D