PDA

View Full Version : what do you think about buying discus and having them shipped to you!!!!!

tgirl6868
11-23-2003, 04:07 PM
I've been looking for other was in buying Discus. For example off the internet. They have to ship them to you due to there out of the state. has anyone ever bought that way and what was there experience??????? I wish I could find a place where I could buy Discue that's not a pet store so I could pick from more Discus.........

oodi
11-23-2003, 04:18 PM
tgirl,

I think it's the ONLY way to get quality discus... unless, of course, you live near a quality breeder. I've had discus shipped to me from New York, Michigan and Montreal... never had a problem.

JMO,

Judi
:)

Debo
11-23-2003, 04:28 PM
Tgirl I have had babies shipped to me 3 times . I got great discus no complaints here ;D But make sure you get reccomendations from people. I ordered from Cary Strong Great lake Discus and from Joe at Enchanted Discus. There are many good breeders out there you can order from.
DebO

bikhu
11-23-2003, 05:10 PM
Hi Tgirl!
I have purchased fish and had them shipped several times but as mentioned prviously find a good reputable breeder and work with them. I find that Cary Strong is awesome to work with. Not only did he send me incredible fish but he really walked me through the process without making me feel stupind about me feel stupind about my naivete. I now consider Cary a really good friend because of how he has treated me and the many hours he has spent teaching me. Cary is in Michigan and I am in Massachusetts. Oscar from Desert Diamond Discus also sent me some fish and once again they are beautiful fish and growing really well. Oscar packed the fish great and stayed with me (electronically speaking that is) all the way through the process. Both of these gentleman continue to check in to see how their babies are doing. I have also acquired sfish from Bremaster 15 on several occasions... TOday as a matter of fact! Brew lives only about an hour and a half away so I ride down to see him... get a biology and fish husbandry lesson and raid his private stock. Al (aka Brew) is a hobbyist and owner of this site. He does not really sell fish on a large scale but sometimes you can catch him with too many to handle and he will part with some. Depending on where you live you may be near a breeder or breeder hobbyist and not even realize. What part of the US are you from? Maybe someone on here can help out.
I've never purchased from Aquabid but have heard too many horror stories. There are however some very reputable people with fish on there... My suggestion.. do the research.. get to know the people you are buying from via the experience of others and the reputation of those you are considering.
HTH
Peace,
peter

Carol_Roberts
11-23-2003, 05:32 PM
Yes, what state are you in?

April
11-23-2003, 05:45 PM
yes for sure. most of us have gotten fish shipped to us. another great guy is jeff from discusfarm.us . click on his banner up above. also cary is a fantastic guy.!!!
ive gotten fish shipped many times from cary at great lakes discus and gotten some from jeff at discusfarm.us. i cant say enough about either of them.
ive shipped at least 15 to 20 times receiving fish. and ive had all good experiences. i even got some sent from Australia two times.
so.....the first time your a bit anxious and feel like an expectant mother of father.pacing.....but it gets easier each time. and these guys will instruct you carefully on how to receive them and get them safely into your tanks.
you will get quality healthy happy fish to start off with. so it will be a good experience.
make sure they have their own tank to go into and you follow quarantine rules. new tank new siphon hoses and washing hands in between to prevent problems if you already have other discus at home.

tgirl6868
11-23-2003, 05:58 PM
Thank you for all of your replys..... And yes I am nervice about buying a fish off the internet.... But you all have halped to feel a bit better about it and I will look into it more. I live in southern part of Connecticut and if any one is in my area or nows someone around me that would be great....

Thank you

RKeiger
11-23-2003, 06:18 PM
Tgirl,

It would be worth the drive for you to go see Frank Cottone on Long Island. He has superior quality fish and will help you with any information you need after the sale. You can contact him at fcdiscus@aol.com. He has a few fish up for auction on Aquabid right now if you'd like to see some of his quality fish. I promise, you will not be disappointed with fish purchased from him.

Bobby

April
11-23-2003, 06:26 PM
if your in connecticut...then i think you better im brewmaster the admin of this board!!! you have to go see his fish.and hes a wealth of info.
he may even have fish around or can show you fish hes gotten from certain breeders.

korbi_doc
11-23-2003, 09:02 PM
;D ;D You've had great advice from the Simply ppl. You're in So Conn, I'm in So Jersey, wish I was as close as you are to some of the reliable ppl around. Brewmaster is in So Conn, Frank in LI, John Apuzza, (Boxerdad) in LI, David Webber, (Wildthing) in Glen Spey So. NY is not too far from you; DiscusBob is in No. Jersey, close to you. You have many to choose from, just need to travel a bit, should be easy!! & I'm sure there are more I haven't mentioned. My apologies to those I didn't mention.

Don't be afraid to have fish delivered to you. The breeders mentioned, Cary Strong, Jeff @ Discusfarm, Joe @ Enchanted Discus, Rocky Mountain Discus all have good reps & can be relied on. There are many more, check the banners on this site as well. Good luck, Dottie 8)

EthanCote.com
11-24-2003, 12:19 PM
Shipping discus is a great way to go to get quality discus.

I just received a shippment of Red Melons and GoldxMelon crosses from Ontario to Montreal, Qc. on the weekend. It was about a day in the boxes for these babies and they all arrived alive to my place.

The important factor is to find a reputable breeder. Once you find one, then the rest of the procedure is very very easy. They will talk you through the whole procedure should you have questions.

So give it a try when you are ready for discus.

Cheerio,

Chi.

CARY_GLdiscus
11-24-2003, 01:19 PM
I agree with Chi,

And not because may name was mentioned or because am friends with most. The reason am friends with so many is because I take care of BIZ!

Its so easy to ship Discus but also seems more easy to ship low quality poor health Diseased Discus. I recommed You Demade what You want! Express the Quality and Strain type
Your after. Tell Your breeder/importer Your future plans with the discus You intend to buy! Ask for pics and express health issues and gaurentee's in writeing. Do not send Money the first time You see something You like. spend a few weeks reserching the net discus forums etc..... Also most important!!
Do not TRUST any BREEDER/IMPORTER and that includes ME! ALLWAYS ALLWAYS QT YOUR DISCUS FROM OTHER DISCUS, other FISH, PLANTs AND SNAILS.

hth
Cary Gld!

SLY
11-24-2003, 01:37 PM
I say this many times and will say it again "You will never go wrong if you go with the STRONG" ;D

CARY_GLdiscus
11-24-2003, 02:25 PM
LMAO SLY ;D ;D ;D

11-24-2003, 06:49 PM
Good one sly.
I think that should be his new moto. LOL
Try Cary for your next discus if you mail order, otherwise get in the car and travel a little. Brew is a great host and loves to spend hours talking discus. Maybe he has some fry to start you out.
Good luck which ever way you go, Matt

Al_M.
11-24-2003, 08:53 PM
YA you could talk to Cary and then wait A week or so but then they'ed all be sold AGAIN RIGHT CARY >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( :( :( :( :( :( :(
Al M. ;D ;D ;D

Paulio
11-25-2003, 03:11 AM
Awesome info Mr. Strong! :thumbsup: Doesnt matter where they are from you need to QT them. Shipping is a great way to get some great fish and if you follow the advice many are giving right here your first experience is sure to be a good one.

Paul

Paulio
11-25-2003, 05:23 PM
one more thing... Never....e-e-e-e-ever! Use Airborne Express.
Private messege for more info.

CARY_GLdiscus
11-25-2003, 05:36 PM
Thank You Sir paulio ;)

Al very funny My man am Ready Now LOL!

Ardan
11-25-2003, 06:41 PM
Well, I did it 2 yrs ago almost. I was scared that I might have given away several hundred dollars....... but, I was doing business with an honest person, who knew his stuff about discus too! He really helped me learn a lot and answered all my questions on the phone and by email. 8)
That was Cary at GLD. I'd do it again. That is my experience and I'd recommend him to anyone. ;D

I know a few others that I am sure would be good to deal with too.
The best thing is, when you get the good breeders, you have excellent healthy fish, honesty, lots of knowledge, and a friend too! :) 8)

CARY_GLdiscus
11-25-2003, 07:10 PM
AND WITH THAT I"LL SAY

Thats what its all about! TANKS Arden ;D

tgirl6868
11-25-2003, 11:40 PM
I agree with Chi,

And not because may name was mentioned or because am friends with most. The reason am friends with so many is because I take care of BIZ!

Its so easy to ship Discus but also seems more easy to ship low quality poor health Diseased Discus. I recommed You Demade what You want! Express the Quality and Strain type
Your after. Tell Your breeder/importer Your future plans with the discus You intend to buy! Ask for pics and express health issues and gaurentee's in writeing. Do not send Money the first time You see something You like. spend a few weeks reserching the net discus forums etc..... Also most important!!
Do not TRUST any BREEDER/IMPORTER and that includes ME! ALLWAYS ALLWAYS QT YOUR DISCUS FROM OTHER DISCUS, other FISH, PLANTs AND SNAILS.

hth
Cary Gld!

thank you that was from the heart...... and thats what i was looking for people to people talk

tgirl6868
11-25-2003, 11:45 PM
i like to speak to brew but i m new the this and i dont know how to reach him.......

CARY_GLdiscus
11-26-2003, 12:48 AM
brewmaster15@att.net

Wise Choice ;)

tgirl6868
11-26-2003, 10:59 AM
are you the Cary everyone is talking about??????

April
11-26-2003, 12:00 PM
yes thats the Cary everyone i s talking about!! the one and only!
great guy.great friend and a great help.
best discus breeder in North America!!
But you should go see Brewmasters fish also. he has tons of fish..you might even get to see parents with fry etc.

tgirl6868
11-26-2003, 01:33 PM
I've tried to conttact him by email still waitting...... Does he have a web page to check out his fish????

brewmaster15
11-26-2003, 01:37 PM
Thanks All for the vote of confidence!!
Hi Tamara, You can definetly do well with many out there by mail order, Cary's advice is excellent on how to go about it!

I am a small hobbyist breeder/seller located in Northford CT. You are more than welcome to stop by here and talk about Discus! I usually have some discus for sale and always welcome a visitor by appointments. I sent you an email, and if you want to set up a visit let me know. About the only thing good about living in CT is one Discus hobbyist is only an hour or so from any other CT discus hobbyist. :)

hth,
Al

lkleung007
11-26-2003, 04:38 PM
Hi Tamara,

You sure are lucky to live that close to Al. I am sure he has got some great Discus and just a great person to talk to about Discus...I know first-hand. ;)

Regards, Lester

Ardan
11-26-2003, 07:19 PM
Wish I lived that close to AL! :'( ;D It would be great to visit and see all his fish and other animals, .... and a nice family too! 8) :)

tgirl6868
11-26-2003, 10:49 PM
You know I've been looking at different sights to do my research and i found that you can have them shipped different ways what do you say about federal express????? what way would you go???? i would like to recieve the fish in good condition.... they say that if you do it fed express you package could be pushed back due to customers, but they make it home alive and heathy i need feed back on delivery please

Tristanyyz
11-27-2003, 12:41 AM
The shipping method is based on how far away you are from your Discus Supplier.

I get my fish from Oliver at www.belowwater.com based out of Montreal. He has wonderful wild Discus, and other amazing fish, including stingrays, which i am really getting into...

I have picked up from him directly in montreal, as I am in Toronto, (5 hour drive)

Oliver has shipped by bus to me, in the summer. And the best but most expensive is to put them on a jet, takes a couple of hours, and pick them up at the airport yourself. Although this is the most expensive way, I feel it is the best. I recieved two 8 inch Motoro Stingrays by this method, they ate within hours of recieving them...and I will tell you freshwater stingray are much more fragile than Discus!!! Direct flight ensures the best condition, but you have to pick up at the airport yourself!!!!
Regards,
M

April
11-27-2003, 03:08 AM
once you find a breeder you trust and have talked to them on the phone and email and you get a good feel from them .....i would trust their judgement on how to ship them to you. it also depends on the time of year and the weather. some do fedex in the summer but wont in the winter.etc. so ask them and they will check out the flights and the options and times and find the safest fastest route for you. also you can check out your airport cargo office times. some offices in smaller towns close early. so make sure you check that out also.