PDA

View Full Version : Which would be safest?

Debo
11-23-2003, 04:18 PM
I have some discus that are almost a year old and I would like to move them to my display tank. The question I have is which is easier on discus raising the PH or lowering? The reason I ask is My display tank is 6.8 and the year old have been raised in 8.0. Your oppions please
DebO

11-23-2003, 05:10 PM
Hello Deb, the best IMO is going up. Your range is a little to high for a grab and dump method IMO. They would be alright, but stressed. I would slowly( over a period of an hour or two) bring the ph up in a bucket or something. Then place them into the show tank.
Good luck, Matt

bikhu
11-23-2003, 05:15 PM
Hi Debo,
IME dropping pH is much worse on a Discus than raising it but they definitely do worlds better with stable conditions. I would contact someone like Carol or Beth A or Cary or Brewmaster 15 and let them guide you through the process of slow, subtle change in the conditions that will allow you to transition and keep your fish at the most consistent and optimal pH.
JMO - HTH
Peace,
peter

Carol_Roberts
11-23-2003, 05:21 PM
Your juveniles are in pH 8.0 and you want to move them to pH 6.8.

Why is the pH 6.8 in the show tank? Can you raise it to pH 7.8 over a few days then move the juveniles? Are you lowering the pH with CO2?

Debo
11-23-2003, 07:37 PM
Thank You for your input Matt and Peter. Carrol the PH is that low because this is the first tank of discus I started out with.I was told at the time that it had to be this low for discus :)And I have been worried about changeing it. As I have learned over the last couple of years stable is better. I will start changing slow so that I can put the others in.
DebO

April
11-23-2003, 08:03 PM
well if you just start raising with a few water changes it wont affect them at all.
stable meaning not up down up down. raising and holding to your regular ph is fine . and far less work for you in the long run.

Carol_Roberts
11-23-2003, 09:05 PM
Yep, a cuple of water changes will do it ;D