PDA

View Full Version : do runt adults spawn runt babies???

Mattzilla
11-24-2003, 02:40 AM
if one or both parents are slightly runted or even very runted in shape and growth, will the spawn generally have poor shape or growth? i mean what if the parents came from very good stock (good shape, colour,size etc) but bcame slightly runted while growing.....will their young have poor genetics??

thanks for your help

matt

Murphy
11-24-2003, 03:13 AM
Excellent question Matt! I would tend to think that the fry would be fine. But hey I'm just guessing. Lets hear from the pro's on this

Carol_Roberts
11-24-2003, 03:22 AM
Aquired characteristics are not passed on to the progeny.

Discus that do not grow to full size due to enviornment can produce full size babies.

Mattzilla
11-24-2003, 08:22 AM
thanks murphy and carol....

i asked the question because i have some discus that i think are slightly stunted in growth. they are my first discus and have not had the benefit of experience when being raised. some of them are approaching the age where they may start to pair up and spawn. i have seen all the adults of my discus and all the adults were big beautiful and very round fish bred by very good breeders. i can only hope that if they spawn the babies will have the potential to grow with great colour and shape.

thanks again

if anyone else has any comments they would be greatly appreciated

thanks

matt

shamsoo
11-24-2003, 12:02 PM
Ihave 2 females which produces very beautiful and round babies ;D

Molly525
11-24-2003, 05:25 PM
I didn't think it would "work" if you used 2 females. ;)

Murphy
11-24-2003, 05:54 PM
Ha! ha! ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D