PDA

View Full Version : female with swollen tummy

trace-russ
11-24-2003, 07:50 AM
Hi guys,

I'm not sure if this is a breeding question or a hospital question, but I'm sure you can tell me.

I have an adult blue diamond and an adult PB that have been acting strange for a few weeks.

Tonight the BD is quite swollen in the tummy area, and is aggressive to everything in the tank apart from the PB.

It has got so bad that I have had to remove them 2 out of the tank (hopefully done the right thing).

It looks like the breeding tube of the BD is down, so is she full of eggs or could she be sick??? They are not busy cleaning an area, the PB is quite happy to sit back and let her flog everything in the tank, and I mean flog. :'(

What do you think ??? I've never bred before and don't know if this is a sign of breeding :-\

Please respond as I'm worried I might lose her if its not normal.

Trace

Carol_Roberts
11-24-2003, 03:56 PM
You don't see a protruding belly with eggs. She may jsut be full . . and ready to breed ;D

trace-russ
11-24-2003, 04:07 PM
Hi Carol

Thankyou so much for answering, I've checked her this morning and she is still swollen but because I moved them last night they have gone in to hiding and not eating.

I can't see any sign of a medical problem with her, but could she have an intestinal problem. there is no boyency problem at all.

I dont want to medicate the tank with anything untill I know whats happening, but Im so worried.

Any other suggestions????????????

Trace

Carol_Roberts
11-24-2003, 05:34 PM
If you think she is constipated you can add epsom salt at 1 or 2 teaspoons per 10 gallons. This will not hurt the other fish or the biofilter. It may make the water a little harder, but is easily removed with daily water changes.

It may take a couple of days for them to settle in to the new tank. Set the temp to 87/88 and add a couple of tablespoons salt per 10 gallons too.

trace-russ
11-24-2003, 05:40 PM
Thanks Carol,

I will try the epsom salt and see if that makes a difference and hope the swelling goes away or for the better I see eggs in the tank :D, well heres hopeing.

Trace