PDA

View Full Version : swollen tummy update

trace-russ
11-24-2003, 08:15 PM
Hi there,

Well all my worry in the last post has just eased.

I've just gone past the tank I moved the discus into last night and low and behold I have eggs whooooooooooo ;D ;D.

They are at the moment still laying on a ceramic pot in the tank and they look wonderful :D.

Thanks Carol for your help.

Trace

Carol_Roberts
11-24-2003, 08:37 PM
:thumbsup:

trace-russ
11-25-2003, 02:15 AM
My joy has just turned to sorrow :'( :'( :'( All the eggs have gone :-[ :-[, they have eaten them.

Oh well at least one thing I know I have a breeding pair now, just gotta stop them from eating the eggs next time.

Trace :-\

susankay1
11-25-2003, 07:52 AM
Not to fret Trace, I have a couple of pairs that are still in the learning curve where they eat the eggs. Just be glad they have shown you this much interest in breeding. Everyone says they will get the hang of it eventually. Hang in there!!!

nicholas76
11-26-2003, 07:23 AM
HI trace russ

It appears we may have the same problem. My melon pair have only recently started breeding for the first time. The first batch was a good size, and the second lot was absolutely massive but they also polished that off too.
They are still in the breeding cycle so I think its best just to let them at it despite the egg eating. My friends have pairs that have eaten and eaten and after the 8th or 9th time they finally got it right.

IN my opinion let it go for the first few times. If it continues I'd look at seeing who is doing the eating. I would then put a divider in the tank seperating the naughty parent and the eggs. hopefuly the good one will nurse the fry. Ensure the divider is big enough so fry can get through and hopefully the eater parent can learn to take them aboard.

This advice is from what i have seen other discus breeders do. So if its worked for them it should work for us.

Post some pics ;D

NIck76

We are both almost there.