PDA

View Full Version : I'm AMAZED...

daninthesand
11-25-2003, 04:53 PM
This morning I came home at 8 am following a night shift. I sleepily went to the basement bathroom to brush my teeth before bed and sat in front of my wall display discus tank, waiting for the 2 minute warning of the electric tooth brush to signal it was ok to stop brushing and go to bed. I have this habit of counting the discus so here I was 1...2...3...4...5....6...7....er uh 7...... 7...... 7! Hey there's supposed to be eight wild adults in there. ***! 1...2...3...4...5...6...7..... 7 .... 7....... CRAP!

I went to the other room where I have access to the back of the aquarium and looked at the floor..... :( darn, there sat number 8 (of course the favourite of the 8 ) on the carpet, black, dry, motionless, lifeless. :'(. I went to pick it up and examined it, yep hes dead. The skin was not completely dry, the eyes had started to cloud over and there was no respiration. With a sinking feeling i picked up the fish and began to walk upstairs to put the fish outside in the snow in the backyard to feed the nieghbours cat. (I do this with most dead fish)

It occured to me that the fish was not stiff yet, so it must not have been too long since he had died. I almost got out my stethescope (i am a respiratory therapist) to see if I could hear heart sounds. yeah right, as if i could hear anything anyway, but I did take a peak under the gill plate to see how dry the gills were. Hmmm they're still wet, and they're still bright RED! Just then the fish jumped out of my hands! HOLY SH!T i thought and carried him back to the tank and plopped him in.

Well, damn if that doesn't beat all heck! He took a couple of short bursts and floated up to the top. I inspected him as he floated and there was just a faint hint of gill movement on one side. I figured "what the heck" try and resucitate the poor little fellow. (I had spent the night doing just that to humans)I moved him back and forth in the water for a few minutes and he began to breath harder....geeze... NO WAY! I watched him float there for a while and saw the breathing slowly get weaker as he sunk to the bottom of the tank. Oh well, I tried....but I was too tired to get on the chair and stick my hand to the bottom of the tall tank and get him out. I'll do it later....I'm going to bed.

Well, I woke up about an hour ago and had breakfast. Well, I might as well get that dead fish out. Went downstairs, to brush my teeth again, sat in front of the tank. 1..2...3..4...5...6...7........

8?

8!!!!!!

HOLY SH!T HOLY SH!T HOLY SH!T.

He's alive and swimming around! Swimming around like nothing happened!

I WAS AMAZED! He looks like crap, skin all peeling and slimy and stuff. But as far as he was concerned he was hungry and was right up at the front of the tank with the rest of them, beggin for food.

Today is going to be a great day after all! ;D

Carol_Roberts
11-25-2003, 04:57 PM
That's a great story, Dan :)
Watch out for skin problems. I'd run salt and furan II in the tank just for in case.

daninthesand
11-25-2003, 04:59 PM
Hi Carol.

Yes, I was wondering that myself, so I loaded the tank with salt and will watch closely over the next few days. Thnaks for the tip on furan 2. I might try that. And lids. Gotta get lids for those tanks.....

Daniel

jim_shedden
11-25-2003, 05:01 PM
thats too cool Dan................made my day ;D

jim

EthanCote.com
11-25-2003, 05:11 PM
Way kewl Dan.

You can save me anyday ;D ;D ;D

Cheerio,

Chi.

11-25-2003, 05:46 PM
Your narration of the whole episode was awesom Dan. loved it truly loved it :o

Great to hear of the happy ending........... indeed!......... ;)

Funny how I do the same (counting) after coming home or which ever. :P

Now I ask myself how can I learn from Dan's experience? How did that bugger get out? Why would that buggar want out? ???

I would also check the water parameters and any escape routes....

Julz <----------- heads to make sure the same is done on her tank :sun:

ronrca
11-25-2003, 06:18 PM
Oooooooo! What a sweet story! I have tears in my eyes! That is one of my greatest fears, discus on the floor! I had that happen once but I was home and hear him plop on the floor.

;) ;) Thanks for sharing! Nice narrating also!

CARY_GLdiscus
11-25-2003, 07:41 PM
My Heart has been Warmed :sun:
I owe You dan LOL!

Nice write up!

jeep
11-25-2003, 07:51 PM
And people say discus are delicate fish :P :P :P

I had a male angelfish jump out and dry completely up one time. Hard as leather... I was on my way to school so I just threw it back in the tank. When I got home he was swimming around!

He was damaged for life but at least he did produce some more babies in the 2 remaining years of his life...

Brian

bikhu
11-25-2003, 09:19 PM
Great narrative... thanks . I hope the fish continues to do well.
I am just a little concerned about you though... How long have you had this fixation with numbers? Repetetive counting.... 2 minutes on the toothbrush... Do you find that you wash your hands a lot? WIll bad and mystical things happen if you deviate from routines? ;)
LOL.... take care of you and your fish!
peace,
peter

April
11-25-2003, 09:31 PM
Dan thats great!! but as carol said watch out for skin infections. i had a marlboro who was almost dead. she had rug burns on her. she was fine for a few weeks then it all fungused up really bad. lost her. : ( so.i would add salt and furan if you can.

crazy4discus
11-25-2003, 09:32 PM
wow great story hope he fully recovers for you what a story

EIHAB83
11-25-2003, 09:58 PM
happy for you mate that he didn't die
EIHAB

daninthesand
11-25-2003, 11:23 PM
hmmm 1...2....3....4....5....6....7....8....9....10.... 11.... 11.
11posts. Peter there are 11 posts. What are you saying exactly? ;D Just kidding.

I count the discus for the exact reason that i know if any have jumped out. Had i not counted I would have never known and the discus in the story would be cat food by now... So there IS method to my madness.... ;)

I realize that this fish might be doomed in the long run. So I am treating the tank for fungus and bacteria with salt and furan. One side (the "up" side when I found him) looks burnt and will likely suffer the most damage because it pretty much is devoid of any slime. The other side looks pretty good.

I'll keep you all posted. I'm glad I was able brighten up your day. I know mine was brighter because of the tenacity of this little bu@@er. I think he's moved to the top of the list of my all time favourite fish.....he's a trooper. :thumbsup:

Daniel

Carol_Roberts
11-25-2003, 11:31 PM
I think if you took a poll you'd find most of us here tend to count things and wash our hands a lot. ;) How many is usually my first question . . .

April
11-25-2003, 11:39 PM
LOL Carol.......ok your making it sound like this forum is just the next step to the looney bin for obsessive compulsive disorder people!!!

Carol_Roberts
11-26-2003, 12:04 AM
I think obsessive compulsive people are successful discus keepers ;D

Murphy
11-26-2003, 12:08 AM
I'll second that!...I count everything.... ;D ;D ;D ;D

Steve_Warner
11-26-2003, 12:15 AM
Hi all,
Dan, GREAT STORY......I'm happy for ya(and the fishie!), bro! I also count 'em ;)

Steve

wildthing
11-26-2003, 12:32 AM
I work in reverse....check the floor first.........zero........zero.......zero......phe w...
;D

11-26-2003, 12:58 AM
Dan: Run a 12 leads ECG. ABG. O2 at 100% and titrate down to maintain PO2 at 80. Keep ph 7.35-7.45. PCO2- 40-45. Full diet as tolerated, Monitor input and output and balance all electrolytes. Chest X-Ray. Run a Cardio stress, PFT to-morrow am. Metro 400mg QID. NaCl 0.9% IV. drip. he will be fine. You must have ACLS. Good work.
Jimmy.

ronrca
11-26-2003, 11:07 AM
When I first enter my fishroom, I check the floor! Then I count! ;)

brewmaster15
11-26-2003, 05:02 PM
Now that was a cool story!
Thanks Dan,

I'll think twice about pitching a jumper now :)

-al

yippy
11-30-2003, 09:43 AM
Well, i didnt want to make this public knowledge - but... Brutie has attention deficit disorder.

Hes on lithium,

Kerry

Ardan
11-30-2003, 11:22 AM
Cool Dan!

Hey maybe you could start a new thing......911 Discus! ;D We could call on you 8)

I'm gald it came around :)

daninthesand
11-30-2003, 02:18 PM
Well folks, that little fishie did succumb to a bit of fungal infection on the wounds that eventually appeared from his ordeal. Luckily the water was loaded with salt, so the infection was minimal. The skin is healing nicely and the fish seems none the wiser.

He's gonna be OK! ;)

Carol_Roberts
11-30-2003, 02:38 PM
:thumbsup:

slicksta
11-30-2003, 03:00 PM
.......very cool story...
the hell with cryogenics.....maybe we should try sun drying?
good luck with'im...
John

jim_shedden
11-30-2003, 03:03 PM
cool :thumbsup:

jim

RedTigrrr
11-30-2003, 03:13 PM
Dan what a great story! Thanks for sharing! And you told it so well! I was in suspense as I was reading. You should do short stories!!! lol

Erin ;D

Ardan
11-30-2003, 03:37 PM
8) Good to hear its on the mend! :)

ping
11-30-2003, 03:45 PM
Great story Dan :) :thumbsup:

Regards,
Ronny

aquatechnics
12-01-2003, 12:44 AM
Amazing story, Dan!

Glad to hear he will be ok! You should name this little bugger "Lazarus" as in the biblic history, pal! ;D

I am not that lucky here in Miami ... a jumper fish is dead instantly with this hot weather :-\

Alberto

daninthesand
12-01-2003, 02:14 AM
:D Lazarus it is! ;)

jim_shedden
12-02-2003, 10:38 PM
Daniel : I was on my portable phone this afternoon when I looked downstairs and to my utter disbelief there was one of my 5" red dolls lying on the carpet. I had just fed them about a half an hour earlier so he couldn't have been there that long. I picked him up and put him back in the tank. He was dried out on the one side and his eye was very cloudy. Right now he is swimming around but hasn't eaten anything as of yet. I have put in 2 tablespoons of salt per 10 gallons (60 gallon tank) and I am hoping for the best.

daninthesand
12-03-2003, 12:38 AM
Jim.

I hope it goes well. See how things look the next day. I used a salt dosage of 1 tablespoon per gallon. Its the same dosage I use for mild fungal and bacterial infections. Good luck!

Daniel

Galina
12-03-2003, 12:59 AM
What made him to jump out? Probably something that he had overheard...

jim_shedden
12-03-2003, 10:13 AM
Well.............I was talking to my ex............ ;D
You think that we could have at least talked about it.............he didn't have to jump. ;)

Jim