PDA

View Full Version : Less Messy BH mix???

Paulio
11-26-2003, 07:51 PM
Ok, first let me say that I dont feed BH. I do feel lean turkey and shrimp mix. I have yet to make any that isnt really messy. Even if I use Knox as a binder it turns to a dusty mess in the tank. How do you get the stuff to stay together?

Paul

Carol_Roberts
11-27-2003, 12:45 AM
I didn't like the meat grinder or food processor either. Too many small bits the discus don't eat.

When I used to feed beefheart, I would cut it in one inch cubes, partially freeze and run it through a salad shooter. It made worm-like pieces of solid meat that adult discus could eat whole.

Once I started on the black worms I cut out beefheart and only feed tetra bits, ONF 1 flake and worms.

11-29-2003, 08:32 AM
Carol,

How is the growth rate now that you are not useing BH?

mattd

Jason
11-29-2003, 10:49 AM
try agar agar, its vegetable based gelatine with a higher melting point, guar gum works well too.

how long you been using the turkey for?

Carol_Roberts
11-29-2003, 02:24 PM
Juveniles grow better with blackworms and the tanks stay cleaner

tarzan
11-30-2003, 06:53 PM
Juveniles grow better with blackworms and the tanks stay cleaner

Hmm, does this also mean that bloodworms will be better than BF?

I thought BF was the best for growing out fish!! ??? ???

Carol_Roberts
11-30-2003, 07:11 PM
Blackworms are alive and do not start decomposing the minute they hit the tank. They can live for hours if not days in the tank.

Beefheart and Blood worms have lots of blood and gurry frozen in with them. The blood disolves immediately in the tank adding to the bioload.

11-30-2003, 09:57 PM
thanks Carol

mattd

Paulio
12-03-2003, 11:45 AM
Jason,

Been feeding Tukey in one form or another for about 8 months. Since I am not working with DOmestics that might be used to a certain food I dont have much trouble getting fish onto it.

Paul