View Full Version : Changing my lovely planted to a clean BB

Abercrombie6202
11-27-2003, 03:25 PM
I think i've decided to finally get rid of that planted tank, i can't take it anymore!! With school, homework, and other related school stuff, i have ahd no time to clean and vacuum a 75 gallon planted tank every day. I tmight be easier to go BB and do w/c everyday without the hassle of vacuuming the gravel and behind chunks of driftwoods and uprooting plants and rerooting them... I took the discus out of the 75 gallon tank and placed them in my 20 gallon BB. At the moment i have some communtiy fish in my 75 gallon, till i decide to take it down and get rid of the junk.... The tank has turned into a waste dump! I can't bear to see it anymore and it is annoying to have to clean it and i'm really thinking about getting more new discus and when christmas comes around and i have money i'll be able to buy a bunch of discus for the 75, i just rather have it clean and BB to put them in!! So here are a few questions:
1. How should i take the gravel out?
2. How big of a water change should i do after i dump the gravel out?
3. Should i keep any pieces of driftwood or plants in the aquarium?
4. How long should i wait till i put discus in the tank?

Thank You and I hope everyone has a safe and happy ThanksGiving
-Adam

ronrca
11-27-2003, 03:33 PM
The easiest is to drain most of the water and scoop out the gravel. Or, depending on the size of your gravel, you can siphon it out also.

The best is 100%. Or 90%. Or 80%

Driftwood is fine. Plants are fine but how are you going to 'plant' them? Potted plants are good and easy to maintain. Plants rooted on driftwood are also nice.

The best I would say at least a month with no fish at all (keep adding ammonia to feed the bio though). If you have fish, well, you dont want to wait too long because if you drasticly increase your fish load, your tank will have to cycle again.

Debo
11-28-2003, 12:24 AM
Adam
I just went BB with my 125 gal. I filled a barrowed 75 gal. with water from my 125. I placed all of my fish in 75 gal. I ran the filters on the 75 to keep them alive. Then I used a clean 5.00 trash can from Menards to save some more water. I then I took all the plants out . placing them in rubber maid containers with some water. I then went to work scooping all the gravel out. Rinsed scooped and drained until all was clean. Painted the back and bottom. Set it back up. It was a Lot of work but I think it turned out great! I posted pictures in the picture area. I planted swords with sand laterite and some of the old gravel, in planters that look like big rocks. I found at Walmart in the clearance area. Placed some drift wood and some petrified wood. I will add some more plants on drift wood later. But It is easy to clean!!! I put the fish back in as soon as I got it back up.
DebO

Tristanyyz
11-28-2003, 12:57 AM
Aber,

You decide the easiest way for you...

Scooping it all out, and replacing all the water with aged, heated airiated water should be fine...dont leave your filter not running for too long, put the media in a bucket and airate, depending on what filter you are running...

Regardless, congradulations on the excellent choice! I have BB with potted plants and drift wood and I love it. I also have a 75 gallon BB with three stingrays...i love the size of that tank.
M