PDA

View Full Version : Can I use filter from the other tank?

jeddah
11-29-2003, 10:10 AM
Hi,

I am transferring my discus to a 50gal tank previously occupied by another type of spicies(monodactylus).

is it possible to use the filters (double sponge) already there because it fit the size of that tank.

The original sponge filter of my discus is a single worn-out one already.

Will there be an effect to my discus? are there different kinds of bacteria developed by monodactylus in the filters?

also, do i have to disinfect the tank or I just need to change the water completely.

many thanks

Ardan
11-29-2003, 10:37 AM
Hi,
there is always the risk that the other fish had a disease that they are resistant to and the discus will be affected by it. Goes for the filter and the tank. (the bacteria for the nitrogen cycle are the same in the filter, but the disease causing bacteria can lurk in there also.)

Personally I wouldn't risk it. I would disinfect the tank with bleach or alcohol, the filters I would microwave the sponges (wet) for 3 minutes. (careful, they get very hot). then I would either use the sponge that is currently with the discus + a new one (to get the new one cycled fast) and put them in the sterilized new tank with new water. (plus you coulc transfer some of the water that's with the discus to keep parameters stable)

hth

Carol_Roberts
11-29-2003, 02:05 PM
Good advice Arden!

To add to the information. . . Empty the 50 gallon and clean with a weak bleach solution. Rinse, Rinse, Rinse! Add fresh water, a dechlor product and rinse again. Don't forget to clean under the rim! Clean the heater and any thing else you will be reusing from this tank. Run a bleach solution through the filter box if you plan to reuse it. Microwave the sponges as bleach is hard on sponges.

When you are satisfied the tank is clean and throughly rinsed add fresh, warm water, dechlor product if needed, heater, thermometer and new uncycled filter. Let run for 4 hours or overnight.

Then add current discus filter and discus.