PDA

View Full Version : fibre....

Mattzilla
12-02-2003, 09:14 AM
i was wondering what foods are a good source of fibre for discus? i feed a lot of b/h and don't want my fish to get blockages in their intestinal tracts...i think if i add alittle extra fibre to their diets it would help them digest their food faster and prevent illness

i need sources that i can add to my b/h next time i make it

and has anyone experienced any positive or negative effects of adding fibre to discus diet??

thanks

matt

Jason
12-04-2003, 07:23 AM
not a good idea!

the discus' digestive tract is not designed to digest fibre, the only roughage they should be getting is indigestible stuff like the parts of crustaceans/bugs/etc that they cant digest.

Mattzilla
12-04-2003, 10:48 AM
i was reading a book i recently purchased called 'exotic discus of the world' that said that a diet high in b/h should have some fibre included as the digestion system of the discus is not designed to digest warm blooded animal meat. it said that the fibre was good to clear out the system in a way of the discus

i'm pretty confused at the moment

matt

Carol_Roberts
12-04-2003, 12:10 PM
Lol, Don't confuse plant fiber with bug fiber. I've always thought of frozen brine shrimp as containing the correct discus fiber.

nicholas76
12-04-2003, 04:42 PM
Hi ,

I mainly feed frozen worm these days, and I feed brime shrimp as a source a fibre.

I was told that brime shrimp helps the digestive track the same way high fiber foods do for us.

NIck :)

Mattzilla
12-04-2003, 06:27 PM
oh i get it now

i feed mine one serve of frozen brine shrimp per day is that adequate??

Carol_Roberts
12-05-2003, 02:09 AM
More than adequate