View Full Version : Problems..

Darren
12-02-2003, 10:54 PM
I separated out 10 juv growouts from a 29 gal last night. I took out a 1 sponge from cycled tank and put in the new tank. I have one cycled sponge left in the original tank and I added a new fresh one. The new tank fish are fine. The original tank I've got problems When I got home from work this evening I noticed food leftover from the auto feeders I have for their daily feedings and they appeared stressed-huddled together in the corner. I performed tests and found the ammonia to be about 2.0ppm. The nitrites were 0 and the nitrates were 5 ppm. I did a 80% w/c, removed all leftover food and feces and added 2 tbs. epsom salt/10 gal. Now one fish is swimming upside down and the rest are huddled in the corner looking stressed out still! What else can/should I do?

Thanks!

Darren

brewmaster15
12-02-2003, 11:01 PM
Darren,
How many fish are in the original tank? Are you sure the auto feeder is not malfunctioning? whats your pH?

-al

Darren
12-02-2003, 11:06 PM
The ph is 8.0 as always. I don't have PH fluctuations. It is 8.0 straight from the tap and after aging. My other tanks all got w/c's last night and tonight-no problems with them. They are not eating at all-I tried feeding CBW tonight which they normally devour-didn't even attempt to eat them.

Darren
12-02-2003, 11:08 PM
There were 10 in the original- I split them out to 5 and 5. They largest went into the new tank and the smallest staying in the original. I would think if I was having problems it would be with the new tank but all is well with that one so far.

brewmaster15
12-02-2003, 11:19 PM
Darren ,
A stable pH of 8.0 is not very common but If your pH is a stable 8.0 I would just hammer them with water changes... 5 fish in a 29 gal with morning and evening WC of 80+ % and your ammonia should not be a problem.. In time the filters will catch up., you can use ammo-lock if need be. Yopu also mentioned your other tanks... can they donate any filter material?

The upside down swimmer... thats not ammonia related..It sounds like over feeding...I'd back off the auto feeder for few days...also set it up on an empty tank and just check to be sure its not malfunctioning.

Hth,
al

Darren
12-02-2003, 11:24 PM
Thanks Al! Auto feeder is off and I'll check it! I'll add another sponge from another tank. I hope I don't lose that one fish....Or any for that matter..

Darren

nicole415
12-07-2003, 01:33 AM
Did you lose the fish that was swimming upside down?

GulfCoastDiscus
12-07-2003, 09:31 AM
And don't forget to replace your salt every water change. I would use regular salt instead of epsom.

dan