PDA

View Full Version : in need of help

harry
12-05-2003, 08:22 AM
hi can anyone help me out ,my 4fttank as 12 3inch discus with one internal and one external filter ,the fish have been doing fine untiull today .they were acting strange and i noticed a couple whose eyes had got a white film over them i checked the ph and found this to be low also amonia was high ,i do water changes every day and have just done a 90% on it ,untill today the params have been stable ,i store my tap water in 45gallon plastic containers ,the only thing different is the water board have been relaying the pipes .any ideas ,thanks in advance ???

harry
12-05-2003, 08:40 AM
ive been reading a few posts and i think the problem is amonia burn,will keep some ammozorb in storage tank and put in external filter,will the affected fish be ok or should i put down.

jeep
12-05-2003, 10:22 AM
If your ammonia levels are up, that probably means your tank is under filtered or the bio load on the filters has been damaged.

How do you treat your water? Any de-chlor product? I would use something like Prime or Ammo-lok to de-toxify your ammonia, rather than using ammozorb.

No reason to cull them. Just find out why you have high ammonia readings and fix the problem. Add salt at about 2TBS per 10 gallons.

Carol_Roberts
12-05-2003, 11:49 AM
How low was your pH and how much had it dropped?

harry
12-05-2003, 02:22 PM
ph 4.9 from6.4,changed water and added salt fish are feeding and all seem ok except the eyes on some

Anonapersona
12-05-2003, 03:21 PM
Re laying pipes? I'd call the water company and see what they are using to flush out the new lines. What are these new lines made of, fresh concrete? Are they lined wih anything? After installation do they run something strong through the line to remove stray dirt and bacteria?

Inquiring minds want to know.

ronrca
12-05-2003, 05:53 PM
Im thinking that its the ph drop thats causing your discus grief! It sounds like your ph crashed! Ammonia under 7.0 is actually ammonium, a nontoxic form of ammonia!

What is your gh and kh? Have you added any chemicals? ;)

Carol_Roberts
12-05-2003, 06:39 PM
Yes, I think pH crash too.