PDA

View Full Version : strange behaviour

trace_russ
12-09-2003, 10:41 AM
Hi there,

I have been treating my pair for flukes for the last week and it seemed as if they were now free and happy again.

Tonight I moved them into a breeding tank and noticed they were on their sides arched and kind of rubbing their mouths noses on the bottom of the tank while the lights were off. When I turn the light on they stop ??? ???.

I have been treating for flukes with sterazin from waterlife over the last 10 days.

Now my question..... Are they flirting or is it still a fluke problem. They have paired up (never spawned) and seem to be doing a little dance but not shaking around.

Could it be with the new tank conditions that it has inspired the spawning motion to start happening and is the arching a breeding sign ???

I have the PH at 6.8 water temp is 29 deg cent, bare bottom with just sponge filters, heater and ceramic pot.

Can someone please give me their opinion please.

Trace :)

Carol_Roberts
12-09-2003, 12:27 PM
Tonight I moved them into a breeding tank and noticed they were on their sides arched and kind of rubbing their mouths noses on the bottom of the tank while the lights were off. This is not breeding behavior - more lilely a sign of stress and/or irritated gills

I have the PH at 6.8 water temp is 29 deg cent, bare bottom with just sponge filters, heater and ceramic pot.
Is the pH in all your tanks 6.8 or have you lowered this one? Are your filters fully cycled? With good tank maintainance adults are usually not bothered too much by flukes. Are you sure it wasn't a bacterial gill problem or ammonia burn or acid burn?

trace_russ
12-09-2003, 05:02 PM
Hi

The Ph in all my tanks is 6.8 all water tests show up normal. Eg ammonia, nitrite and nitrate

The filters are all fully cycled.

Carol Sterazin treats all gill and body flukes and intestinal worms and they have been treated for the last 10 days for this, so it shouldn't be the problem, I hope.

Any other suggestions you guys can think of ???

Trace

snakeskin9
12-12-2003, 10:17 AM
hi
they may just be cleaning a spot to spawn but it is hard to now with out seeing it.

thanx jarryd

trace_russ
12-13-2003, 03:34 AM
Hi guys,

Well I wasn't sure what they were doing but I gave them a dose of worm rid just incase and well they have stoped the rubbing and seem to be fine now.

They are now swimming together all the time doing circles (opersite) directions and meeting in the middle just about :-*. They are so beautiful to watch.

Yesterday I have noticed that they are starting to peck at the pot to clean it, but unfortunatly had a disaster in the display tank, filter died overnight and we were away so dont know how long they have been left with no filter, the ammonia level skyrocketed and I have had to move all the display tank fish into the breeding tank so the new filter can cycle. BUGGER :-\

They are still together but not cleaning anymore.

Will they continue cleaning again when the temp house guests leave ???

Thanks

Trace :) :)

Carol_Roberts
12-13-2003, 01:53 PM
Yes, they should start breeding activites again when things settle down.

trace_russ
12-13-2003, 05:52 PM
Thanks carol

Trace