PDA

View Full Version : Is this algae dangerous for the Discus?

lesley
12-10-2003, 03:46 AM
Discus are not quite right at the moment, water parameters seem fine, could this algae be causing any problems?

lesley
12-10-2003, 03:47 AM
and

lesley
12-10-2003, 03:49 AM
in the previous pic you can see some floaty type stuff that I guess is also algae, and in the first pic the bright green algae has spread onto the java moss from the driftwood.

ChloroPhil
12-10-2003, 09:39 AM
Lesley,

No, the algae you'll find in your aquarium aren't harmful to discus. The reasons the algae are growing may be. Algal growth represents an imbalance in your aquarium which nature is trying to fix. Usually though, that kind of algae isn't a problem and you shouldn't worry about your fish.

What you have there is Cyanobacteria (Blue Green Algae). It usually grows in areas rich in organic debris and with little to no current. It's easy to remove physically, just take a syphon and suck it out. Finding a way of increasing the flow to that area and keeping it clean of debris will go a long way towards keeping the BGA away.

Best,
Phil

ronrca
12-10-2003, 11:58 AM
Yep, cyano! As Phil mentioned, its cyanoBacteria and not actually a true algae! You can easily remove it and you can also treat it with EM tablets. These tablets will not harm your filter or fish! ;)

Smokey
12-12-2003, 06:18 AM
Interesting.

I can not believe I am thinking of setting up a planted tank at home
Hmmm - better stay away from this section ... LOL..

Smokey

ChloroPhil
12-12-2003, 09:37 AM
Anyone who can behave here is welcome Smokey.

ronrca
12-12-2003, 10:47 AM
I can not believe I am thinking of setting up a planted tank at home
Hmmm - better stay away from this section ... LOL..

Welcome to the dark side Smokey! ;)

lesley
12-12-2003, 06:13 PM
Hi guys,

thanks for your help - am busy vacuuming it and getting everything balanced.

Smokey, the "dark side" will give you a challenge and something to think about through the winter! Well worth the effort though!

Regards, Lesley

jim_shedden
12-13-2003, 09:15 AM
OH NO................SMOKEY IS A CONVERT TOO?

Roncra : I am not familar with EM tablets. Is this common stuff at the lfs?
I will confess guys : After seeing your work here I have decided to set up an empty 90 upstairs in the living room and retire some old timers to it.......... ;D

Jim

Oh Yeah........One other question :
SMOKEY BEHAVE?................. ;D

jules
12-13-2003, 12:38 PM
Now Smokey are you gonna be able to see the nice greenery in your upcoming planted tank?

sorry couldn't resist :antlers:

seriously though are you going to use peat filtered water for your plants?

Paulio
12-14-2003, 02:52 PM
Em tabs = Erythromycin and anitbiotic. While it does work it on a quick fix scenario you still need to figure out what in the "system" made it want to live there in the first place. Also, in water that is not well beffered it has a tendancy to raise the pH so be watchfull while using it.

Paul

lesley
12-15-2003, 04:02 AM
Thanks Paulio,

Am currently handling with small daily water changes using peat filtered rainwater and dolomite lime and marine barnacles in my aging water tank. The blue green that I vacuumed away has returned (although in a smaller dose) but the leaves on the plants are not getting nearly as much algae. At this stage I am just changing things slowly. I am back to the risks of low kH, however at the moment my readings of 7.0 pH and 50 ppm kH are remaining stable.

I think what caused the surge in algae was using a pH buffer, and, after a fair bit of research on the net yesterday I came across an article on "PMDD" that gave instances of suggested causes of algae and one of them was using a Sera liquid fertiliser which I have been using also.

Thank you all for your suggestions.

Lesley

Smokey
12-15-2003, 07:40 AM
Thanks for the welcome.

The question I have in the back of my mind - will plants grow in my peat water; pH-6.8 and a KH of 45 ppm.. ?
Lesley, your tank seems similar in numbers as mine. How has your expierence been?

One other point - I do not have lighting on any of my discus tanks. Available sunlight and room lighting only. This will proberly affect the growth of plants - right - lol.

Don't get me wrong - I have had plants in the 100 g/tall tank. They just do not seem to last more than 3 or 4 months. Perhaps the low Nitrates have some effect on them [<5.0ppm].

I have been following Yippy's planted tank pics[simplycichlids]. She has an Ambulia plant that is just incrediable in size. Considering this is a D-3 plant - it seems very hardy.
See Aquarium Atlas, Riehl & Baensch; # 1, page 88. Limnophila aquatica.

Years ago, I tried to have the perfect planted tank. All kinds of plants, only one little problem - the fish ate them . Golden Severums. The eastern africans - well, they would just throw them out of the tanks. etc.... so I kinda retired the idea of having plants.

Smokey

P.S. - I just added another tank to the fish room - another 4 footer. Hmmmm - Perhaps I can use on of the smaller tanks just for plants, and let the water from the sump cycle through the planted tank, back into the sump and then into the overhead w/d filters .. See how ideas start to run amuck LOL....
OHHH where will it all end?? ;D