PDA

View Full Version : My Turq Laid for the Second Times

GulfCoastDiscus
12-10-2003, 09:21 PM
Hi All, This pair laid for the second time. The first time they ate the eggs. They're so young 10 months old. One of the rewards of this hobby. As I'm writing this, they're still at it. Not finish yet. Ok the pics

Dan

Male in the foreground and female behind.

GulfCoastDiscus
12-10-2003, 09:23 PM
Here they are. Male checking the eggs while female waits.

GulfCoastDiscus
12-10-2003, 09:24 PM
Here's a better look at the female. She's in the front.

limige
12-11-2003, 03:53 AM
very nice fish you have there! good luck, let us know if they are fertile!

Murphy
12-11-2003, 07:08 AM
Nice looking pair!

GulfCoastDiscus
12-11-2003, 10:37 AM
Thank you Limige and Peter,
This was a surprise cuz of the age. I'm not hoping for much. I have five of these Turqs and gotten 2 pairs. The other pair haven't laid any eggs. We'll see what happens.

Dan

Anonapersona
12-11-2003, 11:56 AM
Wow, they are beautiful! Hope they turn out to be great parents.

GulfCoastDiscus
12-11-2003, 12:08 PM
Hi Ann,
Thanks. If they ever get it right, you're first on the list.
Hey Ann, when is the meeting? I looked at the calendar and does not show when.

Dan

Murphy
12-13-2003, 03:48 PM
I have five of these Turqs and gotten 2 pairs. The other pair haven't laid any eggs. We'll see what happens.

Dan

Two pair out of five Discus! Wow, what are the odds of that.

GulfCoastDiscus
12-13-2003, 04:56 PM
I think the other 2 just wants to get in the act too. I have the five in a 55gal. 2 paired up so I separated them with an eggcrate divider. The other male wants so bad to be the mate of the female so he took on another partner from the remainding 2. I think the phermones is getting the whole tank excited. ;D

I think the male is not fetilizing the eggs. So far none of the eggs are fertile. He goes throught he motions but all the eggs calcified. I suspected both are females but I watched closely and only one laid the eggs. He's just too young. :-\

dan

Murphy
12-13-2003, 05:16 PM
At 10 months, yes I'd say he's too young as well. I would just let them keep spawning (experience) and as he matures you will slowly get more and more fry each time.

mattrox
12-14-2003, 06:47 AM
I have five of these Turqs and gotten 2 pairs. The other pair haven't laid any eggs. We'll see what happens.

Dan

Two pair out of five Discus! Wow, what are the odds of that.

62.5% chance of it happening

snakeskin9
12-14-2003, 09:15 AM
hey
10month old dam that is young
hope you get some fry out of it
keep posting pics

thanx jarryd

GulfCoastDiscus
12-14-2003, 11:58 AM
Eggs are eaten. It's a good thing cuz I'm moving at the end of this month and I don't need to worry about frys.
:)

dan

nicholas76
12-19-2003, 08:37 PM
Nice fish mate they look really healthy.

my young pair breed weeklky so you might find that yours will get straight back into it soom. Then you will truly have an issue with moving fry whilst you move house.

not a bad problem to have if you think about it. ;D

GulfCoastDiscus
12-19-2003, 09:38 PM
Well Mate, they ate them again. Looks like she want to spawn again but I'm not lowering the tds and ph so the eggs will probably calcify. It seems every succeding spawn the amount of eggs gets larger. They're so inexperienced that the female lays her eggs on top of each other. I've also have observed that the girl is the egg eater. It looks like when I ready for them to have babies she will have to be remove.

dan

nicholas76
12-21-2003, 02:08 AM
HI,

yknow im not sure if its pure chance but all my mates discus ( the egg eater pairs) ....all the females do the egg eating too.

I wonder if theres somthing in this.

Anyway show ud pics of your other fish mate

nick

Anonapersona
12-23-2003, 11:12 AM
In other pets, like gerbils and such, the parents will eat the young if things are not going well, if the nest is disturbed or if there is anything wrong with the babies.

It is a wise thing to do, to delay the investment in rearing young until the odds of success are better.

By eating the young, or the eggs, the parents, particularly the mother, is able to regain that nutrition in order to have the energy to try again.

GulfCoastDiscus
12-23-2003, 12:24 PM
In this case I think they are just a little inexperienced. Plus I think the male is not fertilizing the eggs. He goes thru the motion but the eggs calcify after a couple of days. Remember they are only 10 months old. They'll get right but if they don't I'll probably screen off the eggs. Right now I'm getting ready to move so I don't really care if they eat or not.

Dan