PDA

View Full Version : DISCUS HAWAII!!!

jun
12-11-2003, 01:49 AM
any discus keeper here from oahu hawaii. or does anyone know of any breeder. since i will be there next week and they don't have discus in haunama bay. ;D ;D. i figure, i'll sidetrack and check out some discus.

beside, i could take picture of your fish and posted here in simply. just got myself a canon digital rebel for christmas and would love to try out the macro on this puppy.

i'm also hoping to get some shot of the surfing in northshore and some blue crush babes. ;D ;D ;D

http://www.triplecrownofsurfing.com/haleiwa/contest_history.php

hang ten baby!

jun

GulfCoastDiscus
12-11-2003, 09:54 AM
Aloha Bradah,
Welcome to Hawai'i. I have some family on the west side, Waianae. I'm sorry I don't know anyone in Oahu that raises and breeds discus. I think there are some though. I'm currently in Texas. Enjoy the weather and the beauty. Check also Waikiki for some human sceneries. ;D ;D ;D
Mahalo,
Dan

jeep
12-11-2003, 11:57 AM
I know there is, or was, an importer there. I don't know the name or which island though...

Brian

jun
12-11-2003, 01:37 PM
thanks pare! i'm know i'm going to enjoy it. haven't been there in over 10yrs. i got to get away from this rain. yeah waikiki, that's where will be staying. oahu the party island. ;D
the rest of the islands are just too quite for me. ;D ;D

i wonder if that shrimp farm on the leward side of the island is still there, along king kamehameha highway? where they sell different type of fried shrimp and tilapia? anyone know?

someone once told me that there were some good breeder and importer overthere.

jun

discus_HI
12-11-2003, 01:44 PM
Hi Jun,

I'm on Oahu!!!! My brother and I only have a small collection of 20 something discus but would be happy to cruz for a little bit. We are trying to grow our collection but not many want to ship to Hawaii without charging extra.

There used to be a importer on Oahu named Ray Kosaka, under the name DISCUS HAWAII, but I believe he is no longer in business. There is a guy named Rodney on Kauai that supposedly imports his fish from the same place in Asia as Ray used to and I believe he has some of Rays old breeders as well. I'm guessing he gets his fish from Zoids since he was offering white/ red spotted just like the Blizzards Jeff is currently selling!!! Next time I go Kauai I'm going to try check his place out.

We can meet up for cruz if you like? Where you from anyway?

discus_HI
12-11-2003, 02:48 PM
Yeah still get the shrimp farm out there and Matsumoto's shave ice. My bro and I just went out there last week for grind some fresh shrimps. Gotta stop off at the GIOVANNI white shrimp truck in Kahuku if you're heading to the North side, the scampi is major kine grinds.

I live like 15 minutes from Waiks, and many things have changed in the last ten years. Oahu is still the only major isle, the action on Maui, Kauai, Big Isle just doesn't cut it business wise.

Hope you have a good trip though,

Mike

jun
12-11-2003, 03:01 PM
discus_hi,

that's the guy ray kosaka. too bad he doesn't import anymore. would have love to see his place.

i'm from san francisco and will be there on the 15th - 22. my wife wanted to attend the hawaii lindy exchange on the 18, 19 & 20. if you don't know what lindy is. is a style of swing dance. no, i don't swing dance. the only swing i do is with a golf clubs. ;D ;D

so what's a good night club to go to on friday and saturday night overthere since i will be free that night ;D ;D pm me with your phone number and will give you a buzz.

jun

GulfCoastDiscus
12-11-2003, 03:42 PM
Reading you guys text makes me miss Hawai'i. I used to live Waianae side for 7 years. Across the street from Pokai Bay. I used to be married to a local girl, daughter of Henry Peters former Bishop Estate Trustee. That was in the late 80's and early 90's. I've been trying to go back ever since. I wish you bradahs a Merry Christmas. Enjoy your stay Jun.

Dan

trusty
12-11-2003, 03:50 PM
lucky jun i heard ray had some nice discus expensive. Go check that guy out jun if he has those blizzards get one for me lol. you still on for jan jun let me knoe i will be going to to friscos around jan and feb see yah jun have fun

discus_HI
12-11-2003, 04:39 PM
Do you want the guy on Kauai's phone ####, no website available? I'd visit Rodney too but can't unless you're a real good swimmer or plan on flying to Kauai...jp

I'm too chicken to call RAY since I heard around town he gave up discus to take care of his elderly parrents. I don''t want to impose on the guy but he was the man to talk to before in Hawaii.

Jun try checking out Zanzabars or the W ona friday/sat usually poppin down there!!!! Give me a call when you get to town, if you got any extra free time.

Mele Kalikimaka to all the former islanders out there!

Mike
808-384-4420

Reefscape
12-11-2003, 07:01 PM
Aloha,
Pahea au? Maka'i I hope.

Since this is the first post on this site, I wanted to say aloha to everyone here. Someone from our boards had mentioned this site and this post so I thought I would chime in on it.

It is true that Ray has given up the Discus world to deal with more pressing issues in his life. He is a good freind and I wish him the best.

Rodney is also a good freind of both myself and Ray. Ray has basicly turned over his business to Rodney after Rod had proved himself to be a very prominant discus enthusiast/breeder/importer and I believe that he will do very well with his endevers(sp). Rodney is using some of Ray's connections but not limiting himself to those connections and I can tell you that the fish that he is bringing in are some of the better ones that I have seen.

Discus_HI,

Just wanted to say Howzit Braddah, when you get some time for come over Kauai, you check da kine out and see for what he get. Good kine stuff bra. ;D

Ahui ho

Discusgeo
12-11-2003, 09:38 PM
Jun I will Email Ray Kosaka tonight to see if he can tell me if anyone on the Island imports Discus. I use to get all my Discus from Ray and he live in Honolulu. If he contacts me I will pass that infor on to you.
Have a good time in Hawaii.

I sent the Email and maybe he will respond if he isn't too busy Jun.

Sorry to say Ray's email service is no longer available. My mail was returned.
Sorry

discus_HI
12-11-2003, 10:39 PM
Ho sorry brah, no can speak hawaiian, hahaha, only pidgeon blood!!!

For sure next time I'm on Kauai, I gotta stop by if Rodney has some spare time. I live manoa, probably near Ray believe it or not, but without a proper introduction I would feel uncomfortable contacting him for the first time.

Kauai is the BEST, I hope to live there one day, so so beautiful!

Mike

aloha_discus
12-11-2003, 11:01 PM
Jun, I to am from Hawaii. I lived in Waipahu for 25 years. Reading all the posts I am so home sick. Hey is Jun short for Junior? I remember dealing with Ray a long time ago. He had a lot of beautiful discus. I felt like a kid in a candy store. If memory serves me right, Ray ahd a helper at the time that was his go to man when Ray was not availiable. I dont remeber his name.

I am taking my wife back to Honolulu for our tenth wedding anniversary. It is around the time of the Denver conv. She wants to go to both. ;D

Jun, have a nice time when you get there and post some pics of the islands scenery.

Aloha, Ike ;D

Reefscape
12-12-2003, 02:21 AM
Aloha Mike,

No problem on the Hawaiian :D
Pahea au = How are you
Maka'i= well, good
Ahui ho = until we talk or meet again.

I am still learning a bit of it as our daughter goes to Puanana leo school here and at 3 years old speaks better Hawaiian than most people :)

I am sure that Rodney would not mind at all if you were in the neighborhood to stop by. Just give him a call first. You are right that you live very close to Ray as he is up the hill from the college in Monoa. Do you get to any of the Honolulu aquarium society meetings? I have been to a couple of them but dont get over there to often. To busy for me.

Discusgeo,

Ray hated his computer so I think he flew it out the window. If you still have his phone number, you could probably call him. I have it but since he is out of the business, I cant really give it out without asking him first. I will ask him if you would like me to. As far as I know, Rod is the only one that is bringing in the good stuff into Hawaii. There are a couple of people that bring in other discus but mostly for the pet shop grade. Another person to ask would be Lance Pang with the Honolulu aquarium society which is at www.Honoluluaquariumsociety.com

Discusgeo
12-12-2003, 07:26 AM
Reefscape thanks but I do have Ray's phone number. It's been a litle over a year since I talked to him. Yea I know Ray hated the computer, he use to have his son in law come over a fix it all the time.

GulfCoastDiscus
12-12-2003, 08:55 AM
Hi Dale,
My son went to Puanana leo school. He now attends Kamehameha School. The years he attended Puanana leo school, I desgned their school T-shirt. This was in the early 90's. Have you helped clean the school. I remember parents are not allowed to speak nothing but Hawaiian while in the school or you pay quarters. lol Wow bring back lots of memories. Thanks

Dan

Reefscape
12-12-2003, 01:43 PM
Sorry for the slight hijack on the thread here.

Dan,
Oh ya, we are on the shcedule for cleaning all parts of the school at different times. Its not that big a deal as I think the pay off is well worth it. We are going out xmas caroling tonight with all the kids and yes all the songs will be in Hawaiian :D Where do you live? You are not here on Kauai are you?

Discusgeo,

Its been in about the last 6-8 months that Ray has gotten out of the game. Its rather sad to go into the fish room to see a bunch of bare tanks and no blower running. Its to quiet :( If I remember, it was his son in law that put the PC together for him and for some reason there was always conflicts going on. I build my own pc's and it does seem like you are always running into something. I know that Ray was really happy when Rodney started dealing with him a few years back and now that he has pretty much taken over for Ray, Ray can tend to his parents much needed care now.

BTW Aloha_Discus
Pahea au e Ike?
Remember, you can always leave Hawaii but Hawaii will never leave you. Its in your blood Braddah. I may have to send you some poki or lau lau to really make you homesick :D

Ahui ho

jun
12-12-2003, 02:23 PM
yeah i miss hawaii. although i'm not from there but have been there a bunch of time. i love hawaii! i remember the first time i went there. just turned 18 and mom gave me a round trip ticket, no hotel though. i went there with just a bag pack and i ended up sleeping on the beach for the first night. ;D ;D

i pretty know the layout of the land and it's history. i would also love to visit kauai again, the garden island. man, it so quite there. you could hear a pin drop. ;D ;D. the grand canyon of the pacific is something else. pretty awesome site.

since this is the first time were going there in december. i am dying to check out the surfing competition in northshore. other than that will just be visiting the usual spots. were also going to visit my wife's ex co-worker who owns a pig farm that caters to hotels and luaus.

mike,
i might give you call and swing by. i'll take some pix of you and your fish and post it here in simply. if you don't mind.

ike,
yes, jun is short for junior. ;D ;D. i take after my father. who is known by ray or raymond. ;D ;D you know i'm going to post pix of the island scenery. by the way, if your talking about the aca in denver. i was thinking of going there too.

dale,
no hijack here. were talking about hawaii. anytime brah.

jun

GulfCoastDiscus
12-12-2003, 02:54 PM
It's been so long since I've gone back. I left in 1993. I remember eating at a place called Ono's, I think Manoa side by UH. The restaurant is so small so have to wait outside on the sidewalk. The Hawaiian food was ono. I forgot the name of the dish. It's meat inside wrap in taro leaves then wrap again with Ti leaves. There's also the squid with coconut milk. Man, I getting hungry thinking about it.
Dale, you know a former Bishop Estate Trustee name Henry Peters. Well, his daughter is my ex-wife. Are you sending your kids to go school in Kamehameha? My son is in the 9th grade there. I used to live waianae side, across Pokai Bay.
I now reside in Houston, Texas. Trying to find a way to go back. :)

Mahalo for the memories,

Dan

discus_HI
12-12-2003, 04:01 PM
You mean Lu'au right, dan? I wen grad punahou in '94 before going Chicago for 4 yrs. Everyone from the 808's heard of Mr. Peters enedevors at Bishop estate, there always seems to be some kind of controversy going up there.

Reef thanks for the link to the HonoAquaSoc. I plan on joining this year, tried to go to the meetings but I guess I went to the wrong place or something. I really need to find more local sources of live food for my fish. What kine live foods you guys get on Kauai?

Jun, give me like a days notice so I can clean up my house before you check out the fish. Hopefully the weather stays nice but its been a little rainy here. The waves on the Northshore are mean this time of year and draws the chicks to the beach!!!

Shoots den, laters

Mike

Reefscape
12-13-2003, 01:55 AM
You are talking about Lau lau Dan, It is pork wrapped up in taro leaves and then ti leaves, then it is steamed or boiled. good stuff along with some lomi salmon, ahi poki, tako poki, and ogo kim chee. makes my mouth water.

As far as live foods here on kauai go, well, we just get much at all as it is to hard to get over here. Everything has to go through Oahu before it gets here through all the inspections and such. About the only thing we do get here is live brine which we get right down at the salt ponds on Hanapepe side.

Dan,
There is a place here called Ono's in Kapaa that is real good, ono,. I dont think there is any connection with the two but I could be wrong. I am not sure on what school we are going to send Leilani to. Our other daughter Malia goes to Kalaheo school and it is one of the better schools on Island. When your son went to Punana leo was Kumu Na'ilima teaching there? Houston Texas, Wow, you went from fresh Island ahi poki and lomi salmon with rice to 32oz steak and potatos :D OUCH!

Jun,
For a little Island, we have it all :) but dont tell anyone. Its not as quiet as it use to be but is still much quieter than the other Islands. Shoot, we actually have a couple of spots where one side of the road has 2 lanes now. But the north shore, the bridges are still only one lane. Gotta love it.

Ahui ho

CliffsDiscus
12-13-2003, 03:45 AM
Hey Jun,
Check with Modern pet store the owner is a lady(if she is still there), another is Pet Center at Kahala see my buddy
Billy. I think Fred Lum sold out , Frank Lau is retire, Dennis is disable, Doc is gone, and Lorrie Wong is retire, hear Ray
Kasaka is not doing Discus. Check with Lance Pang at his
restaurant or the Hawaii Aquarium Society. Oh, one other
check with John Tabata, I think he does business with Modern Pet Store located in back of AlaMona Mall. Bring
back some Leonard's Malasada for me.
Aloha!
Cliff

GulfCoastDiscus
12-13-2003, 10:36 AM
Hey Dale,
Here I am talking about food and you guys are talking about fishstore. ;D

You're right about the location in Kapaa. That's the first place I going to when I come visit. After that I going to eat butterfish and drink milkshake with peanut butter. I was wondering they still have the drive in movie in Pearl City? I miss sneaking in inside the trunk. ;D ;D It's been too long.
You guys know if possible to bring fish from the mainland? I know they have the kine quarantine for dogs. If I ever visit I'll bring you guys some keikis. I get plenty for giveaway.

Dan

Reefscape
12-13-2003, 02:57 PM
Yah, I believe modern pet is still owned by the same person, they are however primarily into marine now and they usually have one tank with a few discus in them. They look to be the run of the mill pet shop grade, posibly imported from Ron but not sure. You can reach Lance through Honolulu aquarium society or his busines which is called Wainane kai seafood. It is a wholesale live main lobster facility and not a restaurant. Didnt want to throw you off when looking for him. If you talk to him, tell him Dale on Kauai said hi.

Brah,
You can bring da kine keiki in from da mainland but you know, it is one big headache for do with all da kine red tape. you have to go get da kine permits from da ag department and go true all da inspections brah. :D