PDA

View Full Version : Is there a rift?

Larry Grenier
12-12-2003, 10:35 AM
No, not those big lakes in Africa ;D .... between discus folks? Mostly curious, but if it's so, a little disappointed. Joe, at Enchanted Discus now has his own forum and I don't hear much from Joe and Hans and a few others over here as I used to. Joe is having a holiday bash tomorrow and I don't hear anything about it over here. I'm not trying to make a mountain out of a molehill. I've been out of the loop for a few years and just trying to see how the wellknown names fit. Last time I was active in the hobby, we were telling Quarles to lighten-up ::)

Smokey
12-12-2003, 02:57 PM
Larry;

Not only Mr. J. Quales ; Axlerod, Beanch, Folke, and now there are todays "masters".

Life will go on!

Smokey

brewmaster15
12-12-2003, 03:26 PM
Hi Larry,
Alot has changed in the hobby since the DRP days :) The answer to your question is yes and no. There are 3 "main" Boards currently in the USA ...Simply, DaaH , and Joes . They share many of the same members... some chose to frequent one of them over others based on thats boards ideologies and their personal feelings for the owners and other members on it..... we fondly call it "Discus Politics."

Much of this stems from a large increase in the use of the forums by more hobbyists and I Think The natural tendency for large groups to fragment into smaller similar groups. There are also many personal clashes at various levels on the boards and conflicts as well which were always there, but have grown with time . In general Though I think the "rift" is a good thing, as people tend to go to the boards that best fit their needs.

The "No" part of my answer is though these 3 boards all have their own separate ways of doing things... we all still like our discus equally as much, and though I can't and won't speak for Daah s owners and Joe.. I think we all are just trying to make our boards and contributions to the hobby as good as we can.

Hope this answers your questions Larry. As the owner of one of the "Rift" components and arguably by many a contributor to the rift..Thats how I see things .. Ask on the other boards and you may get a totally different answer.
al

Murphy
12-12-2003, 04:33 PM
Hi Larry, I used to frequent the other boards but did'nt like the attitude and was ridiculed by one such forum. Of course I did'nt think it was funny at all. The people here at "Simply" are great!. They have welcomed me and any newcomer with open arms and have always helped with the many questions that have been asked. You could'nt ask for a better bunch of people, no fighting and bickering, and everyone is polite. The moderators do a great job of making sure that everyone is treated equaly

This is my second home! Thanks Everyone!

Larry Grenier
12-12-2003, 04:46 PM
Al & others

Hey I gont an idea :D rerurrect the DRP ;)

Just kidding ;D

Anyway, I'm planning on visiting Joe tomorrow and am expecting to meet one of his special guests by the name of _ans. I also see Cary will be in-town in a few months speaking at a local club so it seems it's not much of a rift anyway. Hope to meet you and other famous Simplies sometime.

brewmaster15
12-12-2003, 05:03 PM
Larry,
Have fun at joes. I hear there will be some great people there.

One last note, on the resurrect the DRP idea.. I always thought that your board had the most helpful and friendliest attitude of the boards in those days... I hope you are not insulted ..but I applied a good measure of that here!!!! so in that way.. I guess your board never really died . :)
Take care,
-al

fcdiscus
12-12-2003, 07:45 PM
Rift! What Rift???????????????? Frank ;)

limige
12-12-2003, 11:28 PM
there seem to be alot of knowledgable people on daah but also here at simply, i tend to like the boards general attitude and feel here at simply, more cozy feeling, lol. can't say i've ever been to joes board, i used to visit cary's until he closed it and merged into simply.

i think each board has it's own attitude and attracts different people with the same interest.