PDA

View Full Version : HEATER BROKE!

Kevin63
12-12-2003, 12:11 PM
Well ... learning a lesson today ... I have (had) a 300W heater in my 55 GAL BB tank ... this morning I went to clean and feed and the water felt cold ... checked the temp and it was about 72 degrees!!!! arrrggg !!!! ... I did a quick 10 gal change with 86 degree water thinking I can slowly start raising the temp and put in my heater from my aging tank ... its 100W ... since I've only had this set up for 6 weeks I figure (and will demand) PetsMart will refund or exchange this heater ... I there anything I should do for my fish? Should I feed them or not feed them? Add salt to sooth or calm them? They seem okay, but not active. Seems its a better plan to have 2 heaters in my tank just in case, any suggestions on the size?

*what is the temp I should be at? I've always stayed at 86 ... thanks

ronrca
12-12-2003, 12:19 PM
Best thing is get the temp asap and treat with salt! Observe them closely for a couple of days. Other wise they should be fine. Dont have to feed too much as metabolism slows when temp drops. ;)

If goin with 2 heaters, 2x 150W or 200W work good.

Carol_Roberts
12-12-2003, 12:19 PM
They should be fine if you caught the temp drop within 24 hours. I figure 5 watts per gallon for heaters. Add the salt and get the temp back up within a few hours. Feed sparingly until temp is up.

Aquatic_Design
12-12-2003, 12:26 PM
Hi Kevin,
Sorry to hear about your heater problem. We've all been there. DO NOT feed the fish when the water is cold. They don't digest well at that temp. If they even eat at all. You'll have to get another heater ASAP and slowly raise the temp to 84 for adults or 86 for youngsters. I would hesitate putting anything in the water unless the fish look stressed. Once temp is up they should be fine. Keep an eye on them for a few days for any signs of stress. If you have any problems raise the temp to 88 and add 2tbs. salt per 10gal. Make sure you keep up with your water changes so they have good clean water. This will keep the stress level to a minimum as well.
HTH
Donna :)

Kevin63
12-12-2003, 12:39 PM
thanks ... you guys are always right there when I need you!

I'm thinking 2 x 200W ... especially now since this happened! I really don't want to worry about heater failure all the time ... are my fish okay? are my fish okay? 24/7!

Willie
12-13-2003, 11:29 AM
That's a good approach.

Willie