PDA

View Full Version : RO filters: Suggestions?

ramblin101
12-14-2003, 02:30 AM
Hi All,

I'm delving into the world of Discus! My question is... i'm considering buying a RO Filter but in my research I realize there are many, many choices, in size, quality and cost. What do you guys have? Any recommendations? I have 70 gallon cycling as we speak, so i think I'll need one that can filter at least 35 gallons a day. I want to be ready when I bring the Discus puppies home...Thanks in advance for any comments!

aloha_discus
12-14-2003, 03:02 AM
Aloha Ramblin, there are some questions to ask yourself.
1) how many discus do you have to start with?
2) do you plan on breeding them?
3) ahh the heck with the questions.

Just get the largest one because you will find that in a short time you will aquire more and more discus. ::) I started with two and in no time I have 30+ discus now.

If you have any other questions check the WATER WORKS section. Randal B. is a great person to ask and deal with. He will recommend the right equipment for your set up.

Have fun, that is the key to sucsess with discus oh and read ALOT.

Mahalo, Ike ;D

ramblin101
12-14-2003, 03:56 AM
Howzit Ike,

Thank you for the dakine advice. I will follow your advice and check out the water works section...I'm new to the page and didin't know there was a water works section.

Mahalo

GulfCoastDiscus
12-14-2003, 09:34 AM
Hey Braddah Ramblim,
You might not need one. It depends on what type of tap water you have. If you have extemely hard water and you plan on breeding then you'll need a R/O unit. For growing out juvenilles all you need is stable water parameters. Store water in a container with an airstone and heater. If you have chloromines add Prime or something to remove it. Your discus should be fine.

Dan

RandalB
12-14-2003, 10:51 AM
Dan's Exactly right. You probably don't need an RO unit right away. Please post your water parameters and we can let you know if you need one or not. Post your: pH, TDS (total dissolved solids), gH and kH. If you don't know them, a local water authority can help or a local aquarium society.

RandalB

ramblin101
12-15-2003, 02:38 AM
Aloha... Much thanks Dan, Randall and Ike for the suggestions. I have to admit i'm new to the Discus rearing but not to the hobby... but I want to make sure I get as much info before I dive in. I will post my tap water measurements soon as get I them. I truly appreciate the help and guidance...I am smitten by the beauty and elegance of the Discus as I know you all are too..and want to start a tank soon...Mahalo...Thank you

GulfCoastDiscus
12-15-2003, 04:41 AM
No prob braddah, Hey where you stay? You the mainland or the island?

Dan

drew22to375
12-15-2003, 05:34 PM
If you are going to get A RO/DI unit I have had wonderful serive out of the one from Auatic Reef Systems.

http://www.aquaticreefsystems.com/Reverse_Osmosis_4Stage.htm

it doesn't really cost much more to go with the 100GPD units then the lower ones. And it comes in handy if you need some water in a hurry. And just in case you don't know, you will not exactly get the output it is rated at. It will depend on your water pressure. Plan on about a 20-40% drop in what it is actually rated at. Also The customer service at Auatic Reef Systems is top notch..

GulfCoastDiscus
12-15-2003, 05:57 PM
If you want quality and cheap RO system, get it from RandalB. His on this forum and has great feedback. Talk to him and he'll get you exactly what you need for half the cost.

Dan