PDA

View Full Version : Setting up new discus tank

M0oN
12-16-2003, 12:38 AM
I'm fairly new to the world of discus, been keeping 3 turqoise emperor's for a good 4 months now in a community tank and I love them so much that I've decided to go out and buy a new 125 gallon for a pure discus tank.

I'm looking to recreate the natural surroundings in which discus live, but don't have a clue as to where to start and cannot find much information on the internet to help me.

Any information would be appreciated, from the ground up. Looking for help with substrate (I would like black sand). Plant species, other "cleaner" or dither fish to add to the tank without disturbing breeding habits, lighting requirements, excellent filtration, water additives that help without hurting etc.

Any refrences to books or websites would be appreciated, I've currently got Degen Book Of Discus and Hobbyists Guide To The Natural Aquarium on the way, but nothing beats experience and feedback from people who have been there.

Thanks a bunch!

Ryan
12-16-2003, 12:46 AM
A good place to start would be the Show Tanks & Biotopes section of our board. There are many great posts there about setting up a natural looking biotope aquarium for your fish. You can access that section of the board here:

http://forum.simplydiscus.com//index.php?board=7

Ryan

M0oN
12-16-2003, 12:51 AM
I realize that as well, I'd just like to get as much input as possible before making such a large investment :)

Kap
12-16-2003, 11:17 PM
MOon,
A great palce to start is in the "Discus Bascis for Beginners" section. There is alot of good information to keep you busy for hours and hours. But that's true for any of the topics on this Forum, right? I'd raise young fish in a bare bottom tank with little more than a heater and a filter system, with frequent water changes. You can get maximum growth this way, and it is much easier to keep the tank clean and the fish healthy. Then when they are adults you could recreate the natural surroundings you prefer. This method will take you longer, but you will learn much along the way. Adult discus may fare better in the kind of tank you want, but getting everything in "balance" so it all works is a complicated endeavor. Just my opinion! Best wishes as you proceed, and keep us posted on how it is going!

Tristanyyz
12-16-2003, 11:29 PM
Moon,

For a few extra dollars go to the 150gallon, the main difference is instead of 24 inches high, the tank is 28. Discus love to swim up and down. I have about 20 wilds and domestics in my 150 gallon, and they just love it. I am saying this because i was looking at a 125 aswell, and then decided to go for 150...its a great size, you will be happy with it.
M

BurnabyDiscus
12-17-2003, 03:40 PM
Go BIG !

I went with a 96x24x24 = 240 gal and my 5 discus just love it ;D I wish I would have gone with the 96x30x24=300gal though ::)

Tristanyyz
12-18-2003, 12:11 AM
Burnabydiscus,

Who makes the 300 gallon you mention? Is the width of the tank 30 inches?

I need to find a home for my stingrays and that sounds perfect.
M

mikezz
12-18-2003, 02:58 PM
:) :) I have 3 55 gal and a 75 gal want to put discus in in the middle of Jan. I have read about putting your sponge filters in from othe tank can I do this now or wait till i get the fish........

Carol_Roberts
12-18-2003, 05:46 PM
You put the cycled sponge filters in the same day you put the fish in. Otherwise the "good" bacteria will starve to death. . . . . OR you can put the filters in and feed the filters pure ammonia until the discus arrive - do a90% water change berfore adding discus..