PDA

View Full Version : Do you think this would work??

Rick_May
12-16-2003, 10:02 PM
Check this out... While I was in bed with the flu, I was channel surfing and came across a bass fishing show. I think the guy was Roland Martin and he was talking about this great new invention for keeping more bait alive in warm water. Its called a oxygen generator and from what I've found on the web it works by breaking the bond between the hydrogen and the oxygen. According to the companies webpage the hydrogen escapes but the oxygen remains in the water. Well in my flu sickened mind I started thinking ....wouldn't that work for discus? Would having close to 100% O2 levels help with increasing hatch rates, or increase the conditions for our fish? If it were used as part of a sump system wouldn’t it increase the biological filter system?

My other thought is about the Hydrogen that is also released. Now I know its been a long time since I had my chemistry classes but I think in the dark recesses of my mind I think PH is a measure of hydrogen in the water. Would this thing increase the PH or would it lower the PH or would the H molecules really just escape.

Heres the company's website
http://www.navstore.com/aqua_innovation_how.htm

mattrox
12-16-2003, 11:31 PM
The hydrogen is a gas ( H2 ) and would escape. You would want a well ventilated room because hydrogen gas is explosive. If it built up you could have a discus version of the Hindenburg.

pH is a measure of hydrogen ions ( H+ ). They are soluable in water.

ronrca
12-17-2003, 11:17 AM
;) ;D

Not sure about this either! For one, is it benefical to have 100% 02 levels? Perhaps first we need to figure out how much 02 discus use. Discus and bio only need some much 02. If the water is saturated with 02, I dont know if that means they will use more 02. Perhaps we can associate it with people and 02 canisters. Would healthy individuals benifit from using pure 02? I dont know! ???

Why not just aerate and use a lot of surface agititation instead? ;)

Good dicussion though! ;)

chavez720
12-17-2003, 12:23 PM
The only way I see to do this, break the H2O bond, is to run an electrical current into the water. Do you really want your discus around all that current and stray voltage?

Could work in short term but long term I would have my suspicions.

Put plants in there and drive the photosynthesis to its maximum rate and you will have more then enough O2 in solution.