PDA

View Full Version : sick fry

billy s
12-17-2003, 05:16 PM
hi everyone been lurking awhile,been finding the info on this site realy useful. any how ive got a problem, a few weeks ago i lost 50 5 weekold fry it all started with abit of flashing of the sides of the tank followed by eratic and jerky swiming, then they sat on the bottom of the tank in the courners in large groups and died over a 2 day period. i'd been away for a few days and hoped it was down to poor water quality. i wormed and de-fluked all my fish, however i have a batch of 40 fry starting to go the same way today. they've been feeding great and get daily 50% w/c. forgot to mention there 3 weeks old. thanx in advance billy s

dannop
12-17-2003, 05:27 PM
2 possible thoughts related to my own experience:

1. Water may be too pure RO if that is what you are using. If so try increasing the tap remix percentage to ro.

2. If using something to help control egg fungus the agent may be outdated.

I hope this helps. If not-next batter up.......

Carol_Roberts
12-17-2003, 06:10 PM
flukes or bacterial gill infection. Try formalin at 1cc or 1 ml per 10 gallons. 50% water change 8 hrs later. Add extra air, don't raise temp.

You might be better off doing several smaller water changes per day, say two or better yet three 20- 25% water changes. What are you feeding these guys? Are you wiping down the glass inside? Squeezing out the sponge filter? You almost have to squeeze it out daily at this age.

billy s
12-17-2003, 06:12 PM
thanx for reply, im not adding anything to the water im always reluctent to add meds just incase, im using half ro and half waste water from the ro unit. its got me totally baffaled. cheers billy s

billy s
12-17-2003, 06:25 PM
hi carol the tanks spotless i'll try some formalin (im not sure if you can get it in lfs in the uk.) i susspected flukes last time and tried prazi also treat parents with hue hung med for flukes. im feeding bbs , beef heart and zm fry foods, they eat like pigs. ive got about 30 fry of a pair of calicos at 2 weeks old so i gess im about to find out if all my stocks infected. thanx for your time billy s

billy s
12-18-2003, 01:35 PM
hi carol went to lfs and got some formalin, i new the lad working there so it was free. ive got a couple of more questions, last night i culled the fish showing symptoms(they were going to be culled anyway) today the remaning 37 fry look ok and are feeding well should i treat them or wait abit to see what happens?

should i treat the parent fish? and should i retreat after the initial treatment? i love theese fish but im sure there going to send me to an early grave, either that or the poor house. thanx again flower.

billy s

Carol_Roberts
12-18-2003, 05:43 PM
If everybody looks healthy don't treat. Keep the tank and water really, really clean - that may be all you need.