PDA

View Full Version : help! Discus floating to top!

trice
12-19-2003, 12:21 PM
Help! My discus was fine last night, now this am I found him floating on the top stuck near the filter. I thought he was dead but when I touched him he swam away. His stomach looks a little bloated. Nitrites 0, ammonia 0, temp 84 deg. I did a water change of about 30% yesterday morning. Like I say, he was fine last night. Should I try epsom salts, antibiotics? Is it a swim bladder problem? Please help!! Thanks.

Carol_Roberts
12-19-2003, 12:27 PM
First try epsom salt at 1 or 2 teaspoons per 10 gallons.

trice
12-19-2003, 02:39 PM
I have added epsom salt 2 tsp/10 gallons. How long before I know if it's working?

Carol_Roberts
12-19-2003, 05:18 PM
Usually, if it is going to work you will see improvement within 4 hours.

trice
12-19-2003, 11:19 PM
Carol,
I just wanted to let you know my discus is better! I don't know if it was the epsom salt or the antibiotics...I gave the salts about 2 hours and didn't see any improvement, then added ParagonII, and tonight he looks better. He seems to have a deep indention on each side of his belly...why would that be?
I was trying to figure out what may have caused this, and I did give them a new food a couple nights ago...some frozen brine shrimp...could this be what caused this?
Thank you for your help.

Carol_Roberts
12-20-2003, 01:24 AM
Yes, it looks like someone pinched him with their thumb and forefinger behind his belly, doesn't it. He is constipated. Don't feed him tomorrow.