PDA

View Full Version : breeding pair

snakeskin9
12-23-2003, 12:11 AM
hey
i just brought a breeding pair ii have had them for a week now and i would like some advise on breeding them??
i have a pvc pipe in the tank temp 30 ph 6.8 and i do water changes every 2 days 25%. they have breed before because when i went to get them they had just breed 10min before i got there.

thanx jarryd

Carol_Roberts
12-23-2003, 12:15 AM
Lower your temp to 29 and wait another week or so to see what happens . . . . are they eating good?

jpl
12-26-2003, 10:43 PM
Hi
Carol

I have moved 2 larger melons to another tank by themselves. The tank was set up with the sponge from the tank they came from and the water as well. The fish dont seem to like it at all.
Pumping gills and tilted bodies, looking down into the bottom. :( :( :(Very little eating. They seem to be paralized. :'( :'( The water is 86, KH 53. GH 17 PH 7.8.

They have been in this tank for 4 days.
I did water changes to see if that made a difference, still the same. ???

I have the tank up high about 5 feet off the floor, white sides and bottom, bb tank.

They were doing great in a community tank, showing off there stuff. These 2 are really something. But now there just 2 scared fish.

Any suggestions.

Thanks

Jim

Carol_Roberts
12-27-2003, 12:38 AM
Are they acting sick or just scared? If just scared they may take a few weeks to settle in. Have you added salt to the tank - that will help them feel more comfortable.

Your water is way too hard for breeding at GH 17. Do you have an RO to make soft water to mix with your hard water?

MonkeeFish
12-27-2003, 01:26 AM
Risiing temp is a gewd idea i think??
Am i right???

jpl
12-27-2003, 06:08 PM
Are they acting sick or just scared? If just scared they may take a few weeks to settle in. Have you added salt to the tank - that will help them feel more comfortable.

Your water is way too hard for breeding at GH 17. Do you have an RO to make soft water to mix with your hard water?

They seem scared then sick to me. No salt.... what kind of salt would I use?
Yes I do have a RO unit. I will mix more well water with RO to soften.

So I guess they are getting use to thier new home.
They dont go after any food, So I will just keep trying to get them to something.

Thanks Carol

Jim

Carol_Roberts
12-27-2003, 08:33 PM
You use table salt - try to find the non-iodized kind - like kosher salt or pickling salt. Use 1 or 2 tablespoons per 10 gallons. You must mean to mix RO (water with out minerals) with your hard well water to make the water softer. IF htey were used to your hard water before that is not the problem. It's just the eggs will not hatch in GH 17 (or even GH 12)

jpl
12-27-2003, 10:40 PM
You use table salt - try to find the non-iodized kind - like kosher salt or pickling salt. Use 1 or 2 tablespoons per 10 gallons. You must mean to mix RO (water with out minerals) with your hard well water to make the water softer. IF htey were used to your hard water before that is not the problem. It's just the eggs will not hatch in GH 17 (or even GH 12)

I am adding this product by Seachem called Equilibruim which restores the mineral balance.
I make 35 gal of Ro water, add the equilibrium and while a water chages is going on I add temped water, mix thoroughly and serve. Its not completly aged water anymore, only the RO water is aged for 24 hours. I dont have enough water storage space.

I thought the lower the GH and KH the softer the water, thats backwards isnt it?

Jim

Carol_Roberts
12-27-2003, 11:00 PM
Don't add minerals (equilibrium) to your RO. Jut add tap water. Try 50% tap and 50% RO to begin. Measure GH. The lower the GH (less drops) the softer the water. You want the GH about 6 for breeding

Fill your storage barrel half full of RO then fill the rest of the way with tap. Agitate this mix to stabilize pH. Test GH and pH.

Is tempered water warm water?

jpl
12-27-2003, 11:37 PM
Don't add minerals (equilibrium) to your RO. Jut add tap water. Try 50% tap and 50% RO to begin. Measure GH. The lower the GH (less drops) the softer the water. You want the GH about 6 for breeding

Fill your storage barrel half full of RO then fill the rest of the way with tap. Agitate this mix to stabilize pH. Test GH and pH.

Is tempered water warm water?

>>>>(equilibrium) not good stuff?....... 50% tap and 50% RO will give me 15-20% water changes for my tanks. 2-75 and a 20 gal. I have a pump in the storage tank that circulates the water continoulsy.

I started doing bigger water changes the last few months. This is done by make 35Gal aged storage water and mixing my well water into the storage water during a water change. Is not a good Idea? :-\ :-\

>>>>Is tempered water warm water? Yes I tapped into a hot water line and tied my RO unit into it, it also mixes with cold water that fills the storage unit as well. The cold water was to cold about 54.

I just order "RO Right," I read somewhere or was told that this was a better product to use.

Jim

Carol_Roberts
12-27-2003, 11:59 PM
Are you using straight RO for your tanks? If yes, then you need to add back minerals with RO right or equilibrium or TAP water

If you are adding your hard tap water to the RO you do not need to add any minerals like those in RO Right. You are defeating the purpose of the RO water if you do.

I think you need to agitate your well water too. The pH of the RO water will stay around 7.0. Your well water may rise much more! Get a 55 gallon plastic barrel to age your water.

Can any of your tanks use straight tap water?

jpl
12-28-2003, 12:18 AM
Are you using straight RO for your tanks? If yes, then you need to add back minerals with RO right or equilibrium or TAP water

If you are adding your hard tap water to the RO you do not need to add any minerals like those in RO Right. You are defeating the purpose of the RO water if you do.

I think you need to agitate your well water too. The pH of the RO water will stay around 7.0. Your well water may rise much more! Get a 55 gallon plastic barrel to age your water.

Can any of your tanks use straight tap water?

My goal was to use all RO water and use Ro right or equilibrium to get the water chem correct. My well water has a softner in it and seems that I cant control the GH KH and PH, besides breeding is my next step.

I started making RO water and slowly intoduce it into the tanks. This has been going on for about 3 weeks. The fish seem fine with it. So, I still want to use only RO water for these tanks. Is there a down side in using RO water for all tanks? Growth? health? Cost?

Get a 55 gallon plastic barrel to age your water. That would be nice to have...

Jim

Carol_Roberts
12-28-2003, 12:49 AM
OK, now I understand better. You don't want to mix tap because of the water softener.

Yes, you can use all RO, but then you will have to buy RO Right or equilibrium or what ever and yes, that can get expensive.

Juveniles need harder water than adults.

Definately buy one or two 55 gallon storage barrels - I paid $30 each for mine - others have paid less.

jpl
12-28-2003, 12:16 PM
OK, now I understand better. You don't want to mix tap because of the water softener.

Yes, you can use all RO, but then you will have to buy RO Right or equilibrium or what ever and yes, that can get expensive.

Juveniles need harder water than adults.

Definately buy one or two 55 gallon storage barrels - I paid $30 each for mine - others have paid less.

Thanks Carol for your time it was very helpful. :) :) I just needed to confirm that I was heading in the right direction when I added the RO unit. So I will continue to use all RO water. It just the storage capacity thats a problem.

Did you get those storage barrels local? I have seen them for around $ 70 in a magazine.

Jim

Carol_Roberts
12-28-2003, 03:26 PM
I found mine at a farm supply store. They originally held greek olives. The smell lingers for awhile, but they are safe to use for fish. I rinse them thoroughly first.