PDA

View Full Version : Urgent help needed

iceskater
12-24-2003, 10:20 PM
I got a new fish tank on Saturday. 55g. I added 7 discus 4 from one and three from another, 29g tanks. I used the top sponges from both tanks in my AC300. Since yesterday I have had problems with ammonia. Today the ammonia was at the highest level deep dark forest green. I am using Aquarium Pharacuetical brand. Let me back up last night it registered .50 I did a 30% WC and got it down to .25. This morning it was .25 again. I changed 30% again tonight, it is reading 8.0. I took out 50% water and decided to test again because I felt as if I added one or two to many drops the ammonia went down to .50 with adding the water. I will test it again in a few minutes to see what the 50% water change did.

My question should I use amquel. That is all I have on hand now. I can not use the sponges from the other old filter because I added ammonia to that one this morning to keep the tank cycled.

Please help I am scared to death. The fish are all acting fine.... The owner isn't. None are dark and all are eating...

BTW, I am using water from tap just as I always have, but now I am filling with a garden hose..

karen

Carol_Roberts
12-24-2003, 10:29 PM
Hi Karen:

IF you put the ammonia in the tank and not directly on the sponges themselves you can gently rinse the other cycled sponges in used tank water and put them on the tank too. Keep doing water changes. Yes, use an ammonia lock. I can't imagine your discus weren't have cows wirth the ammonia at 8. Are you using a dechlor product that is giving you false positives for ammonia?

iceskater
12-24-2003, 10:36 PM
HI Carol,
I use NOVA Aqua to declorify, I always have.

Ok now to settle down a bit. I just finished testing again it is betwen 0 and .25. after the 50% WC. I am praying the 8.0 test was wrong, it could have been if I miss counted drops right? So here are the steps again.

Tested water, 8.0 (think I added to many drops) took out 50% water retested without adding water .50. added water now 0 to .25. These fish are happy as can be today. They are not freaked.

I do not have ammonia lock, I only have amquel should I use it.

Should I take one of the bottom sponges off(old tank) and replace one of the new ones on new tank.

I am sorry I know you want to relax, I am just so panicked.

Carol_Roberts
12-24-2003, 10:41 PM
I think your test was wrong. Move the whole filter with sponges from the old tank to the new tank. Hang it on the front with the lid raised a little. It's ugly, but should work to get rid of the last little bit of ammonia

iceskater
12-24-2003, 11:57 PM
Hi Carol,
I moved the second filter. I could not get it on the front but it fit the back with that lid raised alot and towels to keep them from jumping out. I rinsed the sponge in the old tank, hope that was not a mistake because that water turned filthy.

I have aggravated them now I am sure.

I did not use the amquel yet. I think I may wait till the morning to see what the reading is unless you think I should do it tonight.

I bet both of us wish we were doing something else tonight ;D

Should I just plan on using both filters permanently??? And then maybe moving one of them if I need a hosptial tank.

Karen

Carol_Roberts
12-25-2003, 02:34 AM
Hi Karen:
As I recall you have an Aqua Clear 200 and a 300 on the 55 gallon with one cycled sponge and a brand new sponge. Technically that should be enough after the 2nd sponge grows it's bacteria bed in a couple of weeks.

I run an AC 500 on that size tank with two internal sponges. You may want to get an AC 500 eventually or run two AC 300's on the tank.

p.s. An AC 300 + an AC 200 does not equal the filtration area of an AC 500

iceskater
12-25-2003, 10:55 AM
Morning Carol

AMMONIA IS ZERO :) :D ;D :) ;) :D ;D

I have 2 AC300's. I decided to keep both on the new tank. This afterall has my prize fish.. Ok so here is the sponge set up. Right end tank 2 sponges both were top sponges from prior tank set up. Left end now has 1 sponge the bottom sponge from the tank that use to house the 4 larger discus. I will get a new sponge tomorrow from LFS. I will also order another AC 300 for the 29g and just cycle that one for any new fish I may want. I have the whispher 40g filter running the second bottom sponge on the old tank adding ammonia waiting for new fish.

Ironic, I am adding ammonia to tanks and panicking over to much ammonia in the new one...

Merry Christmas Dear Friend to you and your family.

Karen

Carol_Roberts
12-25-2003, 12:34 PM
:thumbsup: Glad to hear the ammonia problem is resolved. Buy a couple of extra sponges to have on hand for the new aqua clear filter too.

Merry Christmas :santa:.

iceskater
12-25-2003, 02:43 PM
Will do Carol,
Just another update, fed the fish waited 3 hours tested again, no WC. Ammonia still 0, nitrites 0, very small amount of nitrates.

Well I think I call now relax and enjoy Christmas. They are very happy fish now swimming all over and investigating everything. Got some new decorations for xmas. This tank is beautiful...

Karen