PDA

View Full Version : Why is my PH goinig up?

dmacch
12-25-2003, 01:04 PM
My tank is still in the process of cycling, fishless. The ph of my water out of the tap and after agitation for 24 hrs is 8.0. I haven't checked the ph for about a week so I was really surprised to find my ph is now 9.0 after checking it today. I have had water in a holding tak for about 4 days now anticipating doing a water change,because my amonia is now at 0 but my nitrites are still quite high. so I checked the ph in the hoding tank and it still reads 8.0. Any ideas as to why my ph is heading up? Thanks

Dom

Carol_Roberts
12-25-2003, 01:11 PM
I'm surprised your pH out of the tap is the same after you agitate your water. Usually it goes up or less often down.

Are you just using a wimpy airstone to age your water? If yes and your water is moderately hard or hard (GH 10 or above) you are not agitating it enough and it rises with the agitation of the filter in the tank.

Or . . . I believe ammonia might raise the pH

Or . . . do you have anthing in the tank like rocks or decorations that could be leaching calcium?

dmacch
12-25-2003, 01:19 PM
Tank is BB with 2 sponge filters, not hydro, and a fluval 304 with 2 sponges in it. I am using a submersible pump to agitate the water in the holding tank. The surface of the water in the HT looks a rolling boil boiling. I would think that would be enough agitation. I guess i can move the pump closer to the surface of the water and see what happens. As far as ammonia is concerned I brought the level up to 5ppm and checked 12 hours later and ammonia was 0.

Carol_Roberts
12-25-2003, 01:39 PM
AS long as you have your test kits out put a drop of pure ammonia in a cup of water and see if that raises pH.

dmacch
12-25-2003, 02:39 PM
WOW! That 1 drop took the ph way over 9. Problem solved. Thanks so much for the help.

Dom