PDA

View Full Version : Canon EOS Digital Rebel camera

Ramon Anastacio
12-25-2003, 01:30 PM
I got this camera for Christmas. The pictures are not perfect but they are better than the ones I took with my old digital.

Here are pictures of some of my wilds.

Ramon Anastacio
12-25-2003, 01:31 PM

Ramon Anastacio
12-25-2003, 01:32 PM

Ramon Anastacio
12-25-2003, 01:35 PM
Last one. I think it's a good piece of equipment and I'm still trying to learn it's functions - lots of buttons(for me anyway)

Merry Christmas! :santa:

crazy4discus
12-25-2003, 02:29 PM
looks good

Wahter
12-25-2003, 02:57 PM
Nice pics Ramon (nice fish too). Can you tell me what you like and dislike about that Canon EOS Digital Rebel? I've been debating whether to get it or wait for "next year's" model (since I won't be traveling for awhile). ;)

I'm curious about the camera case (some say since it's not metal, it doesn't feel solid) and did you get it bundled with the f/3.5-to-f/5.6, 18mm-to-55mm EF-S lens? Anything else you can say about it would be fine. :)

Thanks!

Walter

daninthesand
12-25-2003, 03:15 PM
Those pics are pretty darn good. I have considered this camera as well. I do know that the lens it normally comes with will not fit other canon SLR bodies. The good news is that the normal line of Canon lenses does fit the body.

If you have other CANON bodies, I'd suggest just using the lenses you already have.

Daniel

Tad
12-25-2003, 05:10 PM
Ramon,
Wow your wilds are looking as beautiful as ever :thumbsup:....Clarity of your new camera is excellent. Hope you had a Merry Xmas!
http://www.click-smilies.de/sammlung0903/weihnachten/xmas-smiley-031.gif
with the highest regards,
Tad

Ramon Anastacio
12-25-2003, 05:19 PM
Walter,

In the short time I've had the camera,one thing I do dislike is having to learn the different functions - I don't enjoy reading instruction manuals. What I do like about it is the SLR flexibilityof being able to use different lenses. It came bundled with the 18-55mm lens and like Daniel mentioned you can use other Canon lenses with it. For these pictures, I used a 24-70mm/2.8L zoom which at 50-70mm gives pretty sharp images if you like to take discus pictures.

I don't know what to tell you about waiting till next year to get one. The price may drop, then it may not. It's a pretty popular item.

Ramon

daninthesand
12-25-2003, 07:14 PM
Ramon.

L series Canon lenses. That explains the clarity in your pix. ;) DOn't you just love that L series glass?

12-25-2003, 07:58 PM
WoW!! Ramon

By the looks of the clarity in those pics , I'll be in the need for a new Digital ;)

BTW......... Great looking Fish

Wahter
12-26-2003, 02:08 AM
Thanks for the notes Ramon.

Unfortunately, I do have a Canon camera, but it's so old (from 1984), it uses 100% manual "everything" (setting the aperture/F-stop, focus and zoom) lens (FD mount), so I'll have to get some new lens if I get a new camera of any type. I've used a couple of Canon EOS Rebel SLR - film cameras belonging to some friends, and I like what I have seen from the digital Rebel so far. I have two lens; 28-105mm zoom (F4) and a 70-210mm zoom (F4) and am pretty used to using those on trips, sporting events, family get-togethers, visiting discus breeders, weddings, etc...

I'd like to be able to try it out before I buy it - Santa wasn't nice enough to get that camera for me (or perhaps I was too naughty during the year!) ;D ;D For that kind of money, I don't want to make a mistake!

Ramon Anastacio
12-26-2003, 07:53 AM
No problem Walter. I have a 35mm EOS Rebel and I love it.

I'm far from being a camera or photography expert but for me the value of the Rebel, as Daniel alluded to in his last post, is that it allows you to use a good lens/lenses with a digital body. There are other higher end models, but for my purposes - taking family/kids' pictures, fish pictures and some outdoor shots - this model is pretty good.

Ramon

jun
12-26-2003, 02:01 PM
i also got a canon digital rebel(300d) a couple of weeks ago. took it to hawaii and posted some sunset pictures here in simply. here is the link if you haven't seen it already. http://forum.simplydiscus.com//index.php?board=9;action=display;threadid=15027

the drebel takes only ef type lenses. the weight of the drebel is just right for me imo. i would hate to have a canon 10d hanging around my neck all day. they weight a ton but built like a tank. the drebel is a step up from a regular point and shoot digital cam. at least from my 2nd generation 800x600 digi cam. what i like about the drebel is the interchangeable lens? there is something with the built in flash i don't like though.

the price of the drebel with lens kit i think is pretty reasonable. plus i got it for $100 less and a 2 years 0% financing at best buy. to think i almost got a nikon 5700 at the same price last year.

here's a link to a drebel forum i been hanging out lately. http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/forum.asp?forum=1031

jun

gang_mary
12-29-2003, 12:03 AM
Nice pics and nice fish :thumbsup:
is the first fish Parakari?

Lee

chinaboy1021
12-29-2003, 03:36 PM
really nice pics with nice camera. do you have a bigger version of the last one?

sjumper
12-31-2003, 04:19 PM
Same camera with Canon 50mm f1.8 lens.

sjumper
12-31-2003, 04:19 PM
more :)

sjumper
12-31-2003, 04:20 PM
Last one for now

wildthing
12-31-2003, 04:58 PM
Canon rules... I have been using them professionally since they came out with the EOS1 ( eek!)
:)

I currently have the D30 & G5 & I rent others when I need crazy-big files ( the D6- & up)
The L lenses are superior, as are their autofocus systems.

BIG fan here!
:-))

however, all the technology in the world won;t help you if you don;t have a decent "eye" A good photographer will get a good pic from a disposable camera, but no amount of high tec will help ....luckily the rules of photography & composition are fairly simple..."the correct exposure for all cameras ( film or digital ) is f8 & be there!"

btw...nice pics of nice fish

jun
12-31-2003, 06:13 PM
sjumper,

just got my canon 50mm f1.8 lens last week. don't you just love that lens in low light. it's a steal for $70.

jun

sjumper
01-01-2004, 06:14 PM
sjumper,

just got my canon 50mm f1.8 lens last week. don't you just love that lens in low light. it's a steal for $70.

jun

Yes, that lens can't be beat for its price. It is the only lens I use for aquarium pictures because of the low light conditions. It is also very good for portraits.

EIHAB83
01-01-2004, 09:12 PM
very nice ;D

01-04-2004, 01:18 PM
Hi Ramon,

Those are some very nice pics. I also have a Digital Rebel. Can you tell me what you do to get your pictures? Any tips would be appreciated. ;D

Peter

Ramon Anastacio
01-04-2004, 03:03 PM
Peter,

A good lens is important. A friend who is a top notch photographer told me that the quality of the lens will make 80% of the photo. I use the 24-70mm/2.8L zoom that Canon makes. At 50-70 mm it will give you very sharp images and is a great Discus lens.

This is what I do:
Manual focus.
Shutter speed: 1/125
Strong flash mounted on a tripod. The base of the flash is positioned at mid tank level and tilted slightly downward. This will prevent the flash from reflecting from the tank glass and will give your pictures greater depth.

Find your subject, focus and fire away.

Ramon

Ramon Anastacio
01-04-2004, 03:04 PM
8)

Tad
01-04-2004, 05:40 PM
Ramon,
Your EOS really takes excellent pics...I just made your first pic my background to my computer... :thumbsup:

Regards,
Tad

crazy4discus
01-04-2004, 05:48 PM
yep looks good to me 2

DavidWong
01-19-2004, 11:53 PM
THESE ARE REALLY FABULOUS PHOTOS YOU HAVE TAKEN......MY HAT OFF TO YOU !!

I HAVE A NIKON 5400 DIGICAM AND COULD NOT GET ANY PICTURE OF SUCH QUALITY.

I SUSPECT YOUR FISHES ARE SO WWELL TRAINED THAT THEY ACTUALLY FREEZE IN TIME TO POST FOR YOU........JUST KIDDING.

Lizzie
01-20-2004, 08:32 PM
I also have this camera Canondig rebel. Love it. I have taken hundreds of fish pictures they are so willing to pose and don't get that uncomfortable smile that people get. I have used the functions but find it takes perfect pictures on automatic-and has that nice portrait setting for fancy fish occassions.
I like the way an sLR feels in my hands and also what you see is what you get.
Worth the price.

Wahter
01-21-2004, 12:40 AM
Darn, I've read comments from a few people who complained that camera doesn't have enough features (comparable features to it's pricier cousin, the other higher models), but those photos speak for themselves. I'll get a digital Canon sometime this year! (might be this year's model, but I am impressed with what my friends tell me and how the photos look).

jun
01-21-2004, 01:55 PM
i love my canon drebel. but one thing i don't like about it. it's the built in flash. however, someone created a program to change the fec (flash exposure compensation) on it. You can download the program here http://revolution.cx/rcx/fecset.htm

i set mine to +2/3 and the flash is way better than it was.

jun

Ramon Anastacio
01-21-2004, 08:36 PM
Thank you for the nice comments.
It's a very good camera and the more I use it, the more I like it.

Ramon

mxxlo
01-24-2004, 03:57 PM
;D

Hey RAMON,

Nice isda. Nice kodak device.

I sent you an email.

Regards from the Pacific NW, land of PCB Salmon and bovine
spongiform encephalopathy.