PDA

View Full Version : Pairing off Discus

airdos
12-25-2003, 01:50 PM
Hello. I am new to discus. I was wonder what would be better to get a group of discus to pair off: Would it be a bare bottom tank with a sponge filter about 55gallons, or would it be better for the discus to have some plants, gravel, ect with an external powerfilter? Also, when getting to pair off, does the pH have anything to do with the time it takes, or it just usually around a year? When getting them to pair off, does it happen quicker when they are larger, or would it be better to get smaller discus and just let them go at it? And what is a good staple diet for discus?

Thanks

SSTurner
12-25-2003, 02:42 PM
Do you have the fish already ?
Do you have the tank?
If not I would get about 12/14 fish about 2in. size, and put then in a BB 75gal. tank. Grow them till full color then pick out best 6 or 8 fish. (sell others)
Then keep water clean feed them good and wait.

As for the food everybody likes different things.
Most like CBW's, Beefheart, Bloodworms, Flakes
Mine are on mosty flake (75%) and CBW's.
Last year I was 75% Beefheart , 5% Flakes, 20% CBW's

Now If you have a 55gal. and can't wait get 6 nice fish put in BB tank feed good ,clean water and wait.

I like to get small fish and grow them out .
Steve

Carol_Roberts
12-25-2003, 05:41 PM
Hi Airdos and welcome to Simplydiscus :wave:

To answer your questions . . .
I was wonder what would be better to get a group of discus to pair off: Would it be a bare bottom tank with a sponge filter about 55gallons, bare bottom tank with either air driven sponge or hang on the back filter

or would it be better for the discus to have some plants, gravel, ect no with an external powerfilter?

Also, when getting to pair off, does the pH have anything to do with the time it takes,no or it just usually around a year? more or less

When getting them to pair off, does it happen quicker when they are larger,yes, because they are older or would it be better to get smaller discus and just let them go at it? If you've never had discus it's good to learn the ropes with a batch of youngsters before you try to breed

And what is a good staple diet for discus?
ONF1 flakes, tetra bits, live black worms, beefheart, frozen bloodworms