PDA

View Full Version : Bleeding

Alan
12-26-2003, 02:12 AM
I've a discus that has blood coming out of its anus. I wasn't sure at first why but then I remembered that this one fell from the net, hit the rim of the pail and fell inside the pail (no water) when I transferred it to the bigger tank Friday night (12/19/03). After I released it into the bigger tank, it shook itself off and swam okay.

I noticed tonight some brownish spots on the floor of the tank and it was the only discus that seems tired that's close to the spots. At closer inspection, blood was coming out from its anus.

Blood comes out like a fine thread but not profusely. It looks like it has some internal bleeding.

Any ideas what I should do or should I just observe what happens.

M0oN
12-26-2003, 02:35 AM
If there are any other fish in the tank I'd move it to a quarantine tank and keep water conditions optimal...no idea how they heal...

jeep
12-26-2003, 10:37 AM
Have you noticed any swelling or bloating in the stomach of the fish?

If it is bleeding inside it could be a result of parasites in the intestine. If there is bleeding in the intestine then infection may be sure to follow.

Kanacyn is a good antibiotic for internal infections.

I would also restrict feeding dry foods as they can irritate the intestine. Maybe switch to frozen bloodworms for awhile.

Brian

jim_shedden
12-26-2003, 03:48 PM
I have run into the problem once before. I would recommend that you put some non-iodized salt in at 2 tablespoons per 10 gallons. I have found that salt is very effective on the tissues inside and out. You can use this in conjuction with kanacyn as well.

jim

Alan
12-26-2003, 04:32 PM
Thaks for the input folks. Unfortunately, the discus didn't make it. It made its last gasp after midnight. :'(

Yes, Jeep. The stomach started swelling early last night.

jim_shedden
12-26-2003, 05:33 PM
sorry to hear

jim

Ardan
12-26-2003, 06:42 PM
Sorry, ALan, sometimes there is nothing that can be done