PDA

View Full Version : Wilds scared by the lights?

paniza
12-28-2003, 10:44 AM
Hi,

I got 3 wilds yesterday and they get all scared of everything when the lights are on.

The aquarium is 48x18x18 the lights 1x48 sun power and 1x48 aquapower.

Is this normal? Should I leave the lights off for a while?

Thanks

jules
12-28-2003, 10:55 AM
Might be a good idea to leave the lights off for a little while so they can get used of their new home.
Discus originate from shadowey waters stained with tannins(brown) in the Amazon.

Tad
12-28-2003, 12:48 PM
paniza,
I have experienced the same behavior with my wilds...I normally leave the lights off until they settle in to their new home, they can get very jumpy from instant brightness and even shadows that are cast upon the aquarium. They will eventually get used to it and be fine IME.

Regards,
Tad

paniza
12-28-2003, 01:35 PM
Thanks guys!

That is what is happening... lights are on, you stand up and everybody is running all over the place. I turned them off.

Btw, did you guys ever heard or used Ketapang Vital?

Thanks

MonkeeFish
12-29-2003, 02:44 AM
im juss a lil curious but cant u turn them on during the day time so the change in lighting isnt that dramatic and juss let it sits thru the nite and till the time u wanna turn them off????

Nightowl
12-29-2003, 03:28 AM
I don't think they really like direct light. In my big tank today the sunlight was hitting the tank directly.due to the winter angle of light, and all the discus moved to the shaded areas. In another large tank, I have one half of the tank lit and they stay on the other side mostly, and these are all fish that I've had for a while. Try a smaller light on the tank for a while, or shut down one of the bulbs that you're using now.
Re: the Ketapang stuff. Is that the Marc Weiss stuff that claims to have what the Amazon stuff lacks??? JMO, of course, ...save your money. What's vital for discus is good food and clean water.
good luck J.T.

paniza
12-29-2003, 11:02 AM
MonkeeFish,

I have 2 bulbs of 40w each, that makes some difference in brightness. ;)
Lights on are ok for the my domestic discus but the wilds are really shy right now.

Nightowl,

Yeah that is the marc stuff.
I'm learning now that clean water is the best water.
I will try one lamp tomorrow. I turned it on today and left the room. They are not jumpy anymore but they don't come out from behind the woods. They keep on looking at me with those eyes... "heeee is theeere". ;D
When the lights are off, they are all over the aquarium...too bad I can't see them very well. :-[

I found one problem in my 1000 questions. The water was too could aparently. I had it at 25c. Now is at 28c.

Cheers,

paniza
12-29-2003, 11:03 AM
oh sorry, I meant the water was cold.

jn4u
12-29-2003, 12:07 PM
My wild discuses are also jumpy to bright light, but I have solved this in this way, I use oven paper (beneath lamp). That gives the water a brown colour and the discus love this.

GulfCoastDiscus
12-29-2003, 03:30 PM
My wild discuses are also jumpy to bright light, but I have solved this in this way, I use oven paper (beneath lamp). That gives the water a brown colour and the discus love this.
;D

paniza
12-29-2003, 03:42 PM
;)

I don't need that I guess, I have ton of wood in there, the water is enough brown...

Paulio
12-29-2003, 03:54 PM
IME 24 hour indirect lighting makes them the most comfortable. Even with dim light over the tanks the room lights going on and off will make them jumpy. Once they are good and settled they respond like any other Discus. But for the first few weeks I would go with indirect constant lighting that is what works for me.

Paul