PDA

View Full Version : lesson learned

Desertdrifter
12-28-2003, 08:31 PM
I have a pvc tube for auto. water changes that sticks into my tank 2" one of my bigest fish panicked and hit it full speed cut the wiz out of him .SO I sanded a fitting and put it over the sharp end and took emery cloth and sanded some other sharp edges. I have been adding salt and keeping the tank spotless and will watch for trouble .thought Id share.DD

Tad
12-28-2003, 09:57 PM
Desertdrifter,
I have this Male Cobalt paired with a Blue Diamond who are a proven pair. Over the last year this Cobalt male has grown to about 6.5 inches and is fat and lazy LOL...now when the female nudges him and trys to entice him he bolts and hits the tank cover. He has effectively cut his head on the headboard at least 2 times ???.....I keep their tank clean and spotless and he has always recovered from his wounds....IMO it would be much easier on him if he would just cooperate LOL...

good luck with yours,
Tad

kjmillerfw
12-29-2003, 02:21 AM
LOL, that's just like a man! ::)

I'm glad he continues to recover inspite of his lack of insight *giggle*

DD, I hope all is well with your fish too. I have a wild that spooks really easily and has had several impacts with the glass that have left some pretty big wounds. My husband calls him the "test crash dummy discus" (which is kinda ammusing now, but at the time, his comment resulted in VERY DIRTY >:( looks from me). Salt and water changes helped him to heal up well. And the night light by the tank has seemed to help with the spooking too. *crossing fingers*

~Kathy

Nightowl
12-29-2003, 03:12 AM
Hello, for wounds like these a bit of Melafix in the water helps prevent secondary bacterial infection....... :vanish: J.T.

kjmillerfw
12-29-2003, 11:09 AM
Here's a picture of the fish I mentioned in my previous post. The initial wound was worse than the picture shows. It was a pretty deep cut, but fortunately, it was a clean cut and stuck back down quickly. He swam around in a daze for about 24 hours but came back around after that. The topical scrape covered back over in a couple weeks time.

I freaked out when I saw this until Al assured me the fish would live and to treat it with salt and watch the wound closely for signs of bacterial infection. Seems like I threw some Melafix in the tank for good measure too. ;)

Hope your fish heals as well.

Kathy

Desertdrifter
12-29-2003, 10:04 PM
my tanks are in the basement with no natural light it is pitch black at night .I never thought about a night light.my tanks are on timers so the lights go out at 10:00pm and come on at 6:30.this ok DD

kjmillerfw
12-29-2003, 11:56 PM
DD,

I think what you are doing is fine if you don't have a jumpy fish like mine. For some reason he gets really spooked when the lights go out. He has done better since I added a few more fish to the tank. Funny how that seems to settle things down rather than add caos to the tank. Your case sounds more like a one time incident, so I wouldn't worry too much about changing the routine.

By the way, what's a basement? hehe..just kidding...we have no clue what those are here in Texas.

DD, just watch for a bacterial infection, otherwise, all should heal well.

Kathy