PDA

View Full Version : Ive got Eggs BUT ?

angel12
01-01-2004, 05:20 PM
I noticed the largest discus hovering and facing the back of the tank for the last few days .. I thought id leave it for a couple of days seeing as it was eating fine then on closer inspection tonight I found that it she had laid eggs on the back glass of the tank :)

Thing is they arent fert as they are comp white she must have been tending these for the last few days .. at the moment she shows no intrest in anything else but staying with these eggs and is obv moving the other 3 away as soon as they come near her... how long will she tend these eggs before she gives up ??

This confims to me that I dont have a male in the tank all the discus are at least 18 months old if not more as ive had them for 8 months and they were adults before that

So what now?

I havent checked my water perams for months and I only change the water every few days but change a good 40% not only that but I admit I just use Cold water that is passed through my Carbon block and pre membrane as only have chlorine in my tap water and the last time I checked the KH and GH of the water it was 1 and 2 respectivly

Presumably she will just continue to produce eggs .. but wont she soon figure out that it is a pointless task ?

if someone can just advise me Im not realy intrested in breeding as I dont have the time or space but I was just wondering how long it will be before she leaves them or produces some more

Thanks

:)

Carol_Roberts
01-01-2004, 06:00 PM
If they've been in the tan for more than 72 hours she will eat them soon or you can wipe them off. She may lay eggs once a week or so.

angel12
01-01-2004, 06:26 PM
Thanks Carol .. seems I got lucky without even trying and from the Discus that I thought hopefully would be a male

Oh well

Once again thanks
;D