PDA

View Full Version : Ghost Discus

Jeff
01-02-2004, 12:35 AM
These are a few ghost discus I'm getting this next month. They are in QT now. Do you like them or not? All opinions welcomed.

Jeff
01-02-2004, 12:35 AM
;D

Jeff
01-02-2004, 12:37 AM
;D

heavyp83
01-02-2004, 12:38 AM
They look like round, healthy fish, but they're not my favorite discus. Now if I had lots more fish and wanted to experiment with breeding different strains it would be a different story.

;D

April
01-02-2004, 01:05 AM
i like them. different. and interesting i think. be fun to play with.

brewmaster15
01-02-2004, 01:18 AM
Hi Jeff,
I like the shape but not too keen on the pattern. Any chance of seeing some adults for these?

-al

Jeff
01-02-2004, 01:22 AM
Al,

I don't have any now, but will get some.

M0oN
01-02-2004, 01:32 AM
Looks like I might have to make a trip back out there for a couple more, Jeff ;)

What's the price and size on your current stock?

Jeff
01-02-2004, 01:35 AM
I don't have those yet. I will have them at the end of Jan. Those are the fish I'm getting. They are waiting to come. They are like the Calico. Either like or dislike. They are an old strain used a lot for removing bars from discus. These have a little extra color the orange/red in them.

yippy
01-02-2004, 02:18 AM
I like them - different. Would look nice under a 50/50 natural/blue light (actinic or whatever it is).

Kerry :)

DISCUS USA
01-02-2004, 02:21 AM
Jeff how much and @ what size for each.

Ryan
01-02-2004, 03:20 AM
Personally I like them but I'd want to get adults rather than juvies. You know how I feel about ghosts, we've had this discussion before ;D

Ryan

SLY
01-02-2004, 03:48 AM
nice stuff. ;D

ping
01-02-2004, 06:03 AM
Nice discus ... :)
I like them but i wont get them ;D. Not now ;D ;D

Rod
01-02-2004, 07:49 AM
When ghosts first became somewhat available during the early 90's i bought some and they grew into very beautiful discus, in fact they were my wifes favourite discus. But when i bred them i could hardly sell the fry because of the greyish/white color the juvies show, so i stopped breeding them and just enjoyed my adult ghosts. The ghost requires very special care to be shown at thier best so for the average discus keeper they are not ideal. For hobbiests looking for something different they are perfect however and i dearly miss my old ghosts. My last one died about 18 months ago now. Incidently they were called silver dreamer discus in those days. Heres an old pic i took of my ghosts.

Rod Coleman
01-02-2004, 08:38 AM
Hi Rod

Nice fish!

Did you ever cross the ghosts with anything else?

Regards
Rod C

SLY
01-02-2004, 11:45 AM
not my fishes but these are some other kinda ghost

Smokey
01-02-2004, 12:29 PM
Very interesting Strain. I think they look great.

Thanks for the pics, fellows.

Smokey

01-02-2004, 01:03 PM
My favorate fish at my early days. They were ugly fish which charaterized with a parrot beak. most had a notch on the bridge of the nose. They were harder to keep and breed compared to the old turquoise discus. Took about 2 years to mature. Not a popular strain for sure. You either love it or hate it. Most visitors I had did not like them. But their offsprings were different story. Most wanted their babies. A barless finner scaled matalic bronze or slight purple color. Some having a pale reddish white color.When people were crazy about the PB and the ghosts were left behind the backroom of most breeders. Most use them to cross with other fish to get a cleaner body compred to the black dusts of the PB. Secretly working on the fish and develope new fish from them. The newer fish of today are having the ghost gene in them esp. the barless type like the Samarah and snow white which came from the Brown or ghost disucs. I had mine came from Wattley's farm. Ghost was never heard of that that time. They were sold as turquoise babies. He hand picked a few baby turquoise for me in his farm. They supposed to have a more intense turquoise color. But some turned out to be the ghost with no bars and no color. . ....I felt like being ripped off after I had them for a year. But they turned out to be the best fish I had ever owned.
Jimmy.

Rod
01-02-2004, 05:10 PM
Hi Rod,

No i never tried crossing my ghosts unfortunetly, would have made for some interesting discus i'm sure but it never really crossed my mind. :-\

Hi Jimmy,

When i first saw the snow white i was thinking it was an improved ghost discus, but the stories i now read say they are a mutation of the brown discus. No ghost gene whatsoever. Does anyone have the real story about the snow white??

Rod L

lesley
01-02-2004, 05:24 PM
I like ghosts. I currently have one juvenile (about 6 months old) that is coming along nicely. I plan to get a couple more.

Can you tell me why they need special care, and what exactly is meant by special care??

Thanks, Lesley

Carol_Roberts
01-02-2004, 05:50 PM
I like them and have my order in ;D

01-02-2004, 05:52 PM
Not my favorite ::)

Nice fish though ;)

Rod
01-02-2004, 08:17 PM
Hi Lesley,

By special care i mean daily large scale w/c, just like we already do for our regular discus....but if the keeper is the once a week w/c is enough kinda keeper, then the colors won't be anywhere near as good imo.

Rod

chinoz
01-02-2004, 10:35 PM
Nope, i dont like this type i rather get a snowflake then this ghost. Just my 2 cent. ;D

Jason
01-04-2004, 09:24 AM
nice I likem!

although the barless trait is very neat, I feel the ghost's best feature is the beautiful round strong head shape, check it out then look at pics of other strains and compare the head profile. ::) as perfect as you can get IMO and 90% of ghosts have it