PDA

View Full Version : Those nitrites just keep on com'n

dmacch
01-03-2004, 01:35 PM
It's been 4 weeks and three days since I started cycling my tank. I bring ammonia up to 4 - 5 ppm and in 12 hours it is 0. Nitrites are 2 ppm and nitrates are off the chart. So i decided I would do a 90% water change. Added more ammonia, 12 hours later 0. Nitrites still 2 ppm and nitrates still off the chart. I know it takes time to get the filters cycled but the anticipation of getting my discus is killing me. I think I might see some light at the end of the tunnel but if my tank isn't cycled in two more weeks I am going to rip my hair out. Thanks for giving me the oppurtunity to vent.

Dom

Carol_Roberts
01-03-2004, 03:44 PM
Hi Dom:
If this is a 55 gallon tank only add a capful of amonia ever 2nd or 3rd day. You just want to keep the ammonia bacteria alive. It took me about 5 weeks to do a true fishless cycle (with nothing from another tank)

Willie
01-04-2004, 11:25 AM
Don't do water changes if you're cycling your tank without fish.

Willie

Carol_Roberts
01-04-2004, 01:23 PM
Hi Willie:
I think if the nitrItes get too high it slows the cycle . . .

Willie
01-04-2004, 02:37 PM
I don't believe so, Carol. The readings are somewhat puzzling. In the reaction: NH3 (ammonia) -> NO2- (nitrite) -> NO3- (nitrate), the conversion of ammonia to nitrite is rate limiting, while going from nitrite to nitrate is extremely rapid. In a fishless system, nitrite rise and disappearance should occur within 24 hours. Dom should check his tap water as a control. There may be high nitrate coming in.

Willie

dmacch
01-04-2004, 03:21 PM
Willie,
It's funny that you mention checking tap water for nitrates because that is exactly what I did yesterday and the reading is 0. The first thing i did this morning was to check nitrite level and much to my surprise it was 0. So I took ammonia back up to about 3ppm and I will check both levels later tonight. If both readings are still 0 should I do a big wc. Also If readings are 0 should I keep adding small amounts of ammonia since I won't be getting the new fish until next weekend. Thanks for the help.

Dom

Carol_Roberts
01-04-2004, 03:55 PM
Sounds like you are cycled ;D Yes, keep adding small amounts of ammonia and the day before the discus arrive do a massive 90+% water change to get rid of all the nitrAtes