PDA

View Full Version : Hatch Rate Question

heavyp83
01-04-2004, 12:28 PM
So far I have my pair still in 100% tap water, i haven't had the chance to order the parts needed to set up my r.o. system. I've had eggs hatch 2 times about to be 3. The first time about 30 of the 100 or so eggs hatched, the second time, about 5 of the 50 or so eggs hatched. This time there are more than 200 eggs on the cone so I'm hoping for the best. Usually more than half of the eggs fungus over by the 2nd or 3rd day when they hatch. My question is, when people say that using a r.o. tap mix for breeders increases hatch rate does this mean:

1) Less eggs will fungus?
2) Or just that more will be fertile?

Is the only way to eliminate fungus to add meth. blue, or is my male just maybe not fertilizing them all yet?

Thanks!

;D

shamsoo
01-04-2004, 01:29 PM
I use to add formalin 2 drops per gal to avoid fungus

Rob
01-04-2004, 01:59 PM
I am not an expert on RO water but from what I've read here and on other forums the RO water is soft, and hard water can affect the developement of the eggs and/or fertilization of the eggs of discus.

On fungus: I don't think RO water affects fungus, other than being really pure water with less microbiological things floating around.

Carol_Roberts
01-04-2004, 02:37 PM
If the water is too hard the eggs calcify and will not hatch (or a smaller percentage hatch).

What is the GH of your water?

heavyp83
01-04-2004, 02:41 PM
My gh is somewhere around 5 or 6 degrees. I think next time they lay I will add formalin. Thanks

;D

Carol_Roberts
01-04-2004, 02:47 PM
You should get decent hatch rates at GH 6. Perhaps your male is young and still learning the ropes. Do the eggs turn white or do they get a fuzzy or thread-like growth of fungus. Solid white eggs are just dead - not fungused

heavyp83
01-04-2004, 03:06 PM
Yea this is actually only the 3rd time that the male has fertilized eggs, Now that you mention it the eggs are white but not fuzzy, but this is only day 2. If I remember correctly, some of them did fungus after the fertile ones hatched.

Thanks!

;D