PDA

View Full Version : do you remove the shrimp shell for BH recipe?

drew22to375
01-04-2004, 11:26 PM
I've been reading the BH recipes and have noticed some recipes that include shrimp say to leave shell on and some say to remove shell before grinding it. Is there advantages or disadvantages for leaving shell on?

TIA

Desertdrifter
01-05-2004, 09:23 PM
my opinion: take it off. thats the kind a guy I am.I would not think there would be much nutritional value to the shells. DD.

lwarctic
01-05-2004, 10:15 PM
TIA, I always take mine off. I don't devein them, but do take off the shell and tail. If you are feeding smaller discus a piece of shell could get caught in their digestive tract.

HTH

Les

;D ;D

Alan
01-05-2004, 10:33 PM
Unless I'm wrong, I believe the shell has calcium. Jeff of discusfarm.us includes them in his BH formula. But he warns that if you're not sure of how to grind it into something like paste, don't include it in your BH formula.

g8torjohn
01-05-2004, 10:39 PM
I say on with the shell! It contains calcium -- but if you fear the shell for digestive reasons, I don't, Take it off and consider adding ground up calcium (which, coincidently, is gathered from invertabrate shells, as I have taken the supplement for my aging bod!!)

I thow the whole thing in the blender and puree with the meat and fish (which I leave in the bones). In the wild, no one debones their food...

Hope this helps, and remember the Hiemlich manoveur just in case!