PDA

View Full Version : When buying discus?

knewby
01-06-2004, 08:14 PM
I have decided to keep discus with some peaceful algae eaters like otos and some corys. Should i add these fish before or after i introduce the discus.

01-07-2004, 09:02 AM
After. Any addition item may cause problems. It's best to add one at them time once they've settled down. Start it with a bare bottom tank with nothing in except a filter, heater and a thermometer and nothing else.
HTH
Jimmy.

knewby
01-08-2004, 12:18 AM
Add the other fish one by one? What?

Nightowl
01-08-2004, 12:44 AM
Don't think it matters when you add them, since you're going to keep them together anyway.
IMO corys are OK, Otos are not...they will sometimes ride discus around the way a remora rides a shark. good luck J.T.

g8torjohn
01-09-2004, 12:28 PM
ditto on the ottos might want to stay away as they can grow and get annoying to the discus. I also have a loach (for snail control) and Corys -- i have 3 and they never bother (or vice versa) the discus. ALso, I have a number of ghost shrimp that seem to help with algae and leftover food (i make my own and those discus are messy eaters!!!) The shrimp occasionally die -- but that helps with tank maintenance too (they are more fragile than our little discus friends) but are cheap and very replacable kind of the canary in the coal mine! I put mine in prior to the discus in the new tanks